How do U tell what size Vintage Tony ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Custom Cowboy Boots & Shoes Discussion Board » Beginners Q & A » How do U tell what size Vintage Tony Lama are « Previous Next »

Mike (Boots4ur)
Username: Boots4ur

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 7:24 pm:   

Hi

We are avid (NOS) collectors and resellers of Vintage Western Boots, and sell some on eBay. We will lauch a Western site soon. I am trying to remember earlier (70's), the Tony Lama numbering system, there is a way to tell what size the boot is, (registration number?)
size and width with in the 6 digit number. They do not have the size stamped in the boot. Is (242395) a (9.5C) Or...am I doing it wrong?

Thanks in advance
Mike (Boots4ur)

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 7:31 pm:   

Or is it the other alfa number combo?
Thanks
Mark W. Fletcher (Bronbo)
Username: Bronbo

Post Number: 588
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 8:24 pm:   

Mike,

Welcome to the Forum.

I am not trying to discourage you, but this Forum is mostly for Custom Bootmakers. They are pretty smart people, but I doubt if anyone can cipher the numbers of a factory boot.

I might get suprised, and I hope I do.

Mark
Mike (Boots4ur)

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 8:32 pm:   

Hi mark

I am sorry (yeah, I realize that), but I think soembody might have experience TL's in an earlier life. :-) Mike
Tex Robin (Tex_robin)
Username: Tex_robin

Post Number: 1056
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 9:13 pm:   

Mike,

Mark is right. Most of us here don't even know what size we are making most of the time! We just make um to fit....Hey, I never owned a pair of TLs or any other store bought boot, except one time my father bought me a pair of L Whites off the shelf when he was working there.:-)...TR
Mark W. Fletcher (Bronbo)
Username: Bronbo

Post Number: 589
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 6:57 am:   

Mike,

I have four pairs of Black Label TLs in my collection, probably 1980s era, all have a size number. Most boot companies have a registration number (around 5-6 numbers), which is more for the order info, and a style number (around 4 numbers), which is for the toe style, heel, etc.

I have looked inside of boots with a magnifying glass, you may want to try that.

You also may want to try this board

http://www.quicktopic.com/25/H/8BcDPHgDYXz6

and post a picture of the inside of the boots.
Mike (Boots4ur)

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 10:16 pm:   

I found out I was doing it correct. Thanks I think I leave the post though... For Grits and giggles. I like Tex Robin's answer!!
Tex Robin (Tex_robin)
Username: Tex_robin

Post Number: 1057
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 1:40 pm:   

Lisa,
What I meant about not knowing what size I was using was partly in jest and partly serious...There is only one reason for a size to be stamped on a last in a custom shop...An that is to tell you what shelf it goes on!....And I will differ with you about the last sizes...The last sizes are larger on the old style lasts that I and most old timers use. A size 10 in most of my lasts will be a 11-12 in some modern lasts....TR

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration