Looking for... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Custom Cowboy Boots & Shoes Discussion Board » Leather » Looking for... « Previous Next »

Lisa Sorrell (Sorrell)
Username: Sorrell

Post Number: 80
Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 3:45 pm:   

Does any one know of a source for hard-rolled heel lifts?

Also, how important is it to buy treated insoles? I've always bought pre-cut treated leather insoles from Westan, but of course they're defunct. Someone sent me a sample of leather that feels like it would make lovely insoles but it's not treated.

I bought a pair of insoles from Keystone. They looked nice but they were hard as rocks to cut. Has anyone else bought insoles from Keystone?

Lisa
Tex Robin (Tex_robin)
Username: Tex_robin

Post Number: 648
Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 4:07 pm:   

Lisa,
Everyone is going to have a problem with leather with the demise of Westan. I don't believe though that treated insoles are any better or softer than non-treated ones. All they do is soak them in some kind of oil. If you insist you can do that yourself. A cup of neatsfoot in a soak bucket will probably do the same.. But I didn't buy the treated ones.
The tanneries have somehow lost the best materials for making insoles. It is supposed to be the softest flankiest part of the hide. I think they are cutting that part off and grinding it up for fertilizer..They called them insole bellies. What you are seeing now is the factory fullsoles being buffed off and put off on us as insoles. We must demand better treatment than this from our suppliers. There are suppliers from other places! When my supply of Westan stuff is gone I will have to look for something else. Anyone have any ideas!....TR
Gary Cunningham (Gcunning)
Username: Gcunning

Post Number: 147
Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 4:56 pm:   

I was at Carl's last week and he had a bunch laid out. He said he was trying "some" out. I did not put much thought or ask any more about it. It seemed he had a vendor from somewhere.
You might try and call him.
He does have a number in the shop now if you need it.
Ben_nobody (Ben_nobody)
Username: Ben_nobody

Post Number: 227
Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 10:02 am:   

I have several international sources for sole leather but here is a good domestic source.
Milton Sokol & Company Inc.
127-25 Metropolitan Avenue
Kew Gardens, New York 11415
1-718-441-2226
sales@msokol.com
They can probably help Ask for Pete Olsen

By His Grace
Ben Nobody

Lisa Sorrell (Sorrell)
Username: Sorrell

Post Number: 81
Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 2:57 pm:   

Tex,
Thanks for your input. I've always wondered about treated insoles but since they were readily available from Westan I never bothered asking about how important they were. I have some Salem Oil and I usually put some of it in the water with my insoles.

Ben,
Pete's the one I've been talking to and who sent me the leather sample. It's skirting leather from Chile. It feels like it would make good insoles but it's only about 8 iron and he says that's the thickest he can get it. He also has some insoles from Argentina. He can get those thicker, but that's exactly what I got from Keystone that was so HARD.

I sent him a sample of a 12 iron insole from Westan so he'd know what to shoot for.

Lisa
Brian C. Thomas (Brian_c_thomas)
Username: Brian_c_thomas

Post Number: 272
Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 7:05 pm:   

Howdy, both Panhandle Leather and Southern Leather are carrying Argentina Insoles which I have d used a few pair of. Not a Westan but they seam to work ok.

“Insole Quest for the Brand”
Brian C. Thomas
Janne Melkersson (Janne_m)
Username: Janne_m

Post Number: 130
Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 9:26 pm:   

I am using a Portuguese leather for insoles, outsoles, counters and heelifts with a good result.
Here is their web address
http://wvw.guianet.pt/curtumesraminho/default.html
If there is an interest ask for Mr Rickard Furtado. I know some of you have experience of using Rendenbach and Baker's leather. I think this tannery is making a leather in the same class for a considerably lower price.
Janne
Tex Robin (Tex_robin)

Post Number: 818
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 12:15 am:   

Anybody have a pair of French Calf vamps and counters they will sell or trade? I am not going to buy another one unless I charge the customer for the whole skin. I had the last two skins for nearly 5 yrs before I go rid of it. Here is my number if you want to call me or you can post it. 325-625-5556...TR
Bill Niemczyk (Bill_niemczyk)
Username: Bill_niemczyk

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 7:05 am:   

Mark,
Previously I was receiving e-mail notification of current postings on the forum but it hasn't been working lately. Can you please check on this? Thanks.
WB
Tex Robin (Tex_robin)

Post Number: 819
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 2:56 pm:   

Lisa,
There is no good French Calf available as surplus and I do know Dale. I doubt very seriously if Nocona boot company ever used any FC. I know where to get it but I don't need a 24 ft skin to sit on for 5 yrs. So my appeal for vamps....thanks...Tex
Mark (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 48
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 3:09 pm:   

Bill,

I checked your profile and made some changes, but I didn't see anything wrong. Sometimes it happens to everyone off and on.
Carrlyn Miller (Carrlyn)
Username: Carrlyn

Post Number: 545
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 3:18 pm:   

Tex,
What color are you looking for?
Tex Robin (Tex_robin)

Post Number: 820
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 6:49 pm:   

Mark, Bill,
Ditto...It has been happening to me lately but mostly because there are no posts! :-)...TR
Gary Cunningham (Gcunning)
Username: Gcunning

Post Number: 185
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 8:18 pm:   

Tex
I buy sets from Carl Chappell
(a set is counters and vamps).
Its obviously more expensive but cheaper than a whole skin.
He usually has a pretty big selection of stuff.
Tex Robin (Tex_robin)

Post Number: 822
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 9:06 pm:   

Gary,
Thanks. We know now the forum is good for something.:-)....TR

Post Number: 170
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 9:55 am:   

Lisa,
"I did finally get the portugese samples. But delined to order an entire skid"

When I order from them here in Europe I can order what ever I need, precut soles, heel lifts, counters, bends, bellies and so on. They have never said anything about order an entire skin.

Janne

Josie (Josie)
Username: Josie

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 4:20 am:   

Hello to everyone. I have been enjoying reading the forum for a couple months now, and am finally ready to jump in for help... Sounds like the closing of Westan was a hard loss for bootmakers. Can anyone share the latest info regarding leather insoles and outsoles available now? What would you recommend for someone just starting on the first pair of boots? Also can someone translate "iron" to "ounces" for me. Thanks in advance
James Ross (James_ross)
Username: James_ross

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   

Josie,

Try this link for you conversion from ounces to irons.

http://www.garlinneumannleather.com/Conversion_Cha rt.htm
Mark (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 68
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 3:00 pm:   

Josie,

Welcome to the Forum!

Post a little bit about yourself on the "My Profile" so we know a little bit about you. (We're a nosey ol' group!)

Welcome again,
Mark
Mike Karnes (Jmkarnes)
Username: Jmkarnes

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 10:53 pm:   

Welcome Josie,
In your profile, tell a little about what you know and how you learned it, what kind of machines and tools you have etc. We can help a lot with sources and miscellaneous "wisdom" if you've gotten enough info together to make a start. A lot of stuff you can find in old posts by using the search feature. Mostly you can get specific answers to specific questions.
As far as precut insoles and outsoles, I expect Panhandle Leather in Amarillo is as good a source as any and they're used to dealing with bootmakers 1 (800) 537-3945. Most of us now-a-days just pays our money and takes our chances on precut parts but quality is generally ok and it's probably a lesser crap shoot than buying sole bends and cutting your own. Keep posting questions and you'll keep getting answers. Once again, welcome.
Josie Sifft (Josie)

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 6:59 pm:   

The pair of lasts I bought were supposed to be for a 1 and 1/4 inch heel, but it looks like they're really geared more at 1 and 1/2 inch. So, I'm down to one more pair of heel lifts to finish off my boots. However, I don't have any more 11/12 iron sole leather left. What do you think of using pieces of latigo leather or an 8oz veg tan shoulder to make the last lifts? Would it be detrimental to the construction or just a little odd? Hope this isn't too weird a question... I look forward to your input.
Lee Miller (Lee_miller)
Username: Lee_miller

Post Number: 232
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   

Josie,

The heel base should be all made of the same quality leather. I don't think it's a good idea to use latigo. It will wear funny and will look odd when you finish them. Maybe whoever sold you the lasts did sell you a 10/8 heel height, but the finished boot would be 1 5/8" on the outside. Just the difference between the terms that last makers use and the terms that bootmakers use.

Lee
Josie Sifft (Josie)

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 6:54 pm:   

Thanks Lee-
I trust your judgment about the leather.

In terms of the last, I just asked for one with @ 1 and 1/4 inch heel. I hear what you're saying about the difference in heel height, but I don't quite understand. So, next time I would have to order an 8/8(?) heel height to get to more of the 1 and 1/4 inch heel that I was aiming for?

Is there an actual difference between measuring by eye how much heel the last would have as it sits on a flat surface and the heel height it will actually be on the outside? Most of the lasts I have, I bought on eBay, so I don't really know what the actual heel height is.
Mike Karnes (Jmkarnes)

Post Number: 44
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 9:17 pm:   

Josie, I'd be willing to guess that many or most of the people selling a few lasts can't tell what heel height they are themselves or whether they are shoe lasts or boot lasts for that matter. This is excepting of course those few individuals who sell lasts new or used as their businesses. I begin to wonder if everybody measures heel height the same way. I measure heel height at the breast of the heel with the heel plumb level with the ground but whether that's the right way or just my way I couldn't say.
Lee Miller (Lee_miller)

Post Number: 233
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 2:08 am:   

Josie,

Here's a diagram from a last maker's book showing how a last maker measures a last. There's different bits of information in this, just to give you an insight as to how it's done. Generally speaking, the heel height is measured at 2 1/4" forward from the back of the last. The standard heel height in a cowboy boot last is 10/8 with a 3/4" toe spring. There are many exceptions to this. A Lucchese last would measure 11/8 heel height, and 1" toe spring by example. A last that measured 8/8 heel height would qualify as a roper last (like a Justin). If I make a standard heel heights for a cowboy boot it would measure 3/4 toe spring, 1 5/8" at the side of the heel, and 1 3/4 " at the back. A 12/8 heel would measure 3/4 toe spring, an 1 7/8 at the side, and 2" at the back.

I hope this information helps, it's a little confusing in the beginning, but it does start to make sense as you work with lasts and make more boots.

LeeLast Info
Lee Miller (Lee_miller)

Post Number: 234
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 2:11 am:   

Mike,

I hope you find this information helpful. I guess my great love is working with lasts; Bill Tippit would be a big help if he spoke here on this subject.

Lee
Tex Robin (Tex_robin)

Post Number: 1499
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 3:33 pm:   

Good Welt!

Does anyone know where there is a supplier or distributor that has a good consistent welt that is not total flank? I have only been buying mine in very small lots now because it is mostly bad. I think Barbours is the only company now and no one can afford to buy direct so we are completely dependent on our knowlegabile suppliers and some of them simple aren't concerned..I like the finished natural welt and mostly leave all boots natural, unless someone requests it dyed. Someone let me know if they know a good supplier....TR
Mike Karnes (Jmkarnes)

Post Number: 67
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 5:15 pm:   

The last 2 times I ordered natural welt from Panhandle and from Southern I got not natural but Barbour's with a medium brown finish. I took that to mean they don't carry natural finish any more. Maybe they all ran out at once but more likely it's all gone since custom makers were the only ones using it.
Tex Robin (Tex_robin)

Post Number: 1500
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 7:05 pm:   

Mike,
Yes, we have a problem....I got some of the same muckey color too..Most of my customers prefer the real glossy natural and our jobbers are not insisting on it when they order. And Barbours is just sending them anything. If you will go to their web page , you will see that they have a thousand kinds and colors of welt...but they only sell in quantities...I talked to them a while back and they gave me the time of day and a good luck but didn't offer any welt! When we are all gone so will they be gone. I do wish them good luck too because they are the only game in town. We may have to just buy the naked natural stuff and finish it ourselves. I guess we could paint it with some spray paint!...TR

Post Number: 299
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 12:01 am:   

Tex,
here is the address to a company in England which carry good natural welts http://www.tesmc.com/
I have been using them for a couple of years with a good result.
Tex Robin (Tex_robin)

Post Number: 1502
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 12:25 am:   

Janne,
Thanks for the address. I may email for a sample. It would be so much better though for us to be able to order from our American company, Barbours, but they don't deal with small companies. But I will look into it and see if it is cost efficient to order from them. Vi önska er och familj en God Jul och gott nytt år, min vän....TR
Bill Tippit, Sr. (Btippit)
Username: Btippit

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 8:52 pm:   

This may not be the best place to post this question but since it's more specific to leather than to machines I'll start here and the powers that be can move it if they wish. I've got a friend of a friend who's looking to get some leather for boots engraved by laser. Does anyone have any experience with this and know the name of a company that makes a laser engraver that has been proven to work well with standard boot leather? Any suggestions would be appreciated as most of my experience with leathers has either been in scanning a surface or cutting all the way through something.

Bill “The Last Man Standing” Tippit
www.globalfootwearsolutions.com
Carrlyn Miller (Carrlyn)
Username: Carrlyn

Post Number: 1204
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 8:58 pm:   

Hi Bill,

I know this may be kind of a tough thing to do, but call Michael Anthony :-) He's had experience with that.

Hope all is well.
Greg Carmack (Carmack)
Username: Carmack

Post Number: 42
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 1:33 am:   

Bill
I have made a few pair with lasered tops. The people I use are located here in Waco, TX. There regular business is awards, trophies, etc. I don't know the make of their machine, but I did ask what it cost and they told me $40,000. If you would like to email me I'll give you their number.
Greg
Doug Collins (Runninhare)
Username: Runninhare

Post Number: 135
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 2:16 am:   

Bill;
On my way to the round-up stopped by Ben Hilton's, Ben introduce me to a young man that is doing lasering on leather,might give Ben a call.
Just Thinking
Doug

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 9:18 pm:   

Thanks to all who have responded to my question. I reread my message and realize it's a little misleading. The guy in question is looking for this to be done in a production environment and therefore would be wanting to purchase a machine to do it in a factory. Whether the $40,000 price tag would make him rethink the idea, I don't know but I'll let him make that decision. Everyone's tips are very helpful and I will follow up all leads to try to get laser manufacturers' info and send to him. Thanks again and HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL!!

Bill “The Last Man Standing” Tippit
www.globalfootwearsolutions.com
Ben_nobody (Ben_nobody)
Username: Ben_nobody

Post Number: 601
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 10:38 pm:   

There is a company here that has several years experience laser engraving our boot tops and the young man also has been a bootmaker in the past. The company is Claytex at 940 538 6521. Ask for Brady. If you've seen some of our boots the work is incredible. They can even do metallics.
Ben

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 3:46 am:   

Thanks Ben!
Jim Bultsma (Bultsma)
Username: Bultsma

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 10:03 pm:   

Does anyone have a pair of elephant vamps and counter covers in chestnut, red,or grey that they would like to sell? I have to make a pair of elephants for a guy and I really do not need 10 or 12 sq ft. since I am not making that many boots anymore.
Lonnie Clippard (Ccboots)
Username: Ccboots

Post Number: 32
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 12:13 am:   

Give John Fong Leathers in San Fransisco a call. Don`t have his number available at the moment, but I`m sure he`s listed.

Lonnie
Tim Bishop (Libertymesa)
Username: Libertymesa

Post Number: 65
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 3:10 am:   

Jim call me i have some in gray that can also be dyed to the color desired. I will gladly cut you some vamps and if you don't like them just send them back.You can reach me at 575 461 1889 thanks.
Jim Bultsma (Bultsma)
Username: Bultsma

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 3:58 pm:   

Thank you for the many responses both here and email. It's nice to have a group like you folks to draw from.
I think I have located some elephant that will work.
Thanks again
Jim
Brad Walker (Walkersaddles)
Username: Walkersaddles

Posted on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 3:27 pm:   

Looking for a place to get wild boar and hog tanned for vamps and counter. I have a source for raw hides
Paul Krause (Paul)
Username: Paul

Post Number: 288
Posted on Sunday, August 07, 2011 - 1:06 pm:   

HELP! I'm in desparate need of three sides of Horweens Waxed Flesh in Natural.

I had eight pcs. set aside, and now the last three are no longer avilable to me. I won't go into the whole story with ya'll.

Now I learn Horween is closing down for the summer, so I have to turn to the "network" to have a chance at meeting my deadline of Sept. 1st.

So I'm hoping one of you fine folks has three sides in your inventory that you'd sell me, or front me, until Horween is back up. Whatever it takes at this point.

If so, could you please pm me at paul@noazleatherworks.com or call 928 442-1213?

Thank you in advance,
Paul

Mark W. Fletcher (Bronbo)
Username: Bronbo

Post Number: 1325
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2011 - 8:12 pm:   

All,

Can anyone help Paul out?

Mark
Tom O'Sullivan (Tomo)
Username: Tomo

Post Number: 79
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2011 - 8:59 pm:   

Paul I know different tanneries produce different leathers and the chance of getting a match from another place is remote. Having said that have you tried Hide House. The other option is to change all the leather to another type (so that you don't have to pair up.).
T.
Edie Kudlis (Brooklyn_edie)
Username: Brooklyn_edie

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2011 - 9:10 pm:   

Paul

I had a few minutes of free time and been calling around for you, asking questions.

Horween's is open till about end of next week. Nick said he's go and check if he has any in stock, but didn't think so. They can make you some Waxed Flesh in Natural, but not by next week. They also asked about the weight. There is apparently the Regular chrome XL in stock, which is pretty close to what you're looking for.
They have a guy in Cali (fornia, not Colombia), Nick, who can help out possibly... he said to call him and he'll do what he can: 773 772 2026. He also wanted to know the weight.

A small chance that Maverick may have it, but they're not back in the office till this Thursday, the 11th. Ask for Matt or Debb: 877 845 0080. In all likelihood, they'll also ask for the weight.

I also called a couple of distributers here in New York City, but they don't seem to have Horweens, but they have other Waxed Flesh Naturals.

I'd be glad to help out more if you need a hand.
Edie
Paul Krause (Paul)

Post Number: 289
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - 1:45 pm:   

Mark Tom And Edie,

Thank you. Spider Daily suggested Panhandle Leather, and by golly, it turns out they may have about 10 sides on the floor. I'm awaiting a sample before I order and have them stripped out at 1/2" for the reweave of these 8, well now 3 remaining chairs.

I haven't been too anxious about this, tho I'd really hate to disappoint the customer. It feels like detachment is the best way to handle it. You know, like Litte Bo Peep, leaving them alone 'cause they'll come home, wagging their tails behind them.

Thanks again to the network for not letting me down.

With Regards,
Paul
Paul Krause (Paul)

Post Number: 332
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2012 - 5:51 pm:   

I hate to have to tap you folks again for a source, but I guess I have to admit that procrastination will be my undoing.
Order taken months and months ago, and just now getting around to calling Hardtke for their Light Brown Calf, and they don't have it anymore.
I'm waiting to hear back from Greg at GH, his is close if he has it still. But I was hoping somebody might have another source for a fine calf that I could try.
I just gotta stop putting off calling for leather chosen by the customer. Too much stress!
TIA for any help,
Paul
Steve Anderson (Steve)
Username: Steve

Posted on Friday, March 09, 2012 - 6:47 pm:   

I'm sure you know, but I just got swatches from GH and Garlin Newman that have a variety of light brown shades. The Garlin Newman glazed buffalo has some really good looking finishes.
Steve
Dan Hickman (Dan_hickman)
Username: Dan_hickman

Post Number: 60
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2012 - 8:32 pm:   

Paul, Are you looking for French calf? If so, how much do you need?
Kevin Eisele (Kheboots)
Username: Kheboots

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2012 - 10:02 pm:   

Paul,
AXMS Company out of Woodbury, CT has some very nice French Calf and Baby Calf. Have a nice light brown too.
Kevin
Paul Krause (Paul)

Post Number: 333
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2012 - 10:43 pm:   

Wow guys, Thanks for the replies!

Steve, I've spoken to Greg at GH and current samples are on their way. But it doesn't sound likely he has the shade my customer picked out. The GN glazed buffalo is more boardy than she's after.

Dan, yes the sample chosen was French calf from Hardtke. They've been out of that for awhile now. The boots is a zippered ankle boot, and is probably less that 3 feet. If you have just the exact leather and were willing to let loose with some, I'd make blocker patterns so as not to waste leather unneccessarily. That would be amazing if you had it and were willing to part with some! Name your price. PM me if you do please.

Kevin, Thanks for that lead. I've never done business with AXMS before, nor heard of them, for that matter. I'll check them out.

Again, Thank you for the support. I owe yas!

Paul

Post Number: 61
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2012 - 3:36 am:   

Paul, If you'll send me info via email I'll call you.
ddh55@suddenlink.net. I have some light brown French calf from Hardtkes.
Judy Elkins (Brunson_boots)
Username: Brunson_boots

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - 11:29 pm:   

I'm looking for a supplier of premade heel blocks. Anyone know of a good one? My current supplier is having trouble keeping enough on hand for me, so I guess I need to look around.
Thanks for any help you can give.

Judy
Chad Little (Chad)
Username: Chad

Post Number: 156
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 2:48 am:   

State leather in San Antonio.

State Leather & Shoe Co
3107 Fredericksburg Rd, San Antonio, TX
(210) 222-0253

These are decent blocks. Not the best, but generally reliable.

Post Number: 75
Posted on Saturday, March 23, 2013 - 2:22 pm:   

Does anyone have any black or brown waxed calf they would sell? I'm needing enough for vamps and counter covers for a size 13. Thanks in advance.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration