Archive through February 11, 2007 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Custom Cowboy Boots & Shoes Discussion Board » My Profile » My Profile » Archive through February 11, 2007 « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Mark (Bronbo)
Username: Bronbo

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 7:12 pm:   

My name is Mark Fletcher, admin/moderator for this Forum. I am not a maker of any leather craft (although I have been tempted to learn many times). I collect cowboy boots and related materials. I also have an interest in "Boot History." I admire makers of custom boots and shoes who work hard and try to keep the tradition alive.

My degree is in geology, I was in the petroleum business, but after the slump in the industry I moved into the environmental consulting business.

I am married to a wonderful wife Debbie, who reluctantly supports my habit (as of now about 175 pairs of boots). Here is a picture of me at my second home

<BR> <BR> <BR>Me at my second home
Tex Robin (Tex_robin)
Username: Tex_robin

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 10:05 pm:   

Hello, My name is Tex Robin. I have been married for 43 yrs, to Margaret Anderson. She is from Brownwood Tx and we have two daughters and six grandchildren. Three grandsons and three granddaughters of which three have spent many hours in my shop(potential bootmakers)?
My hobbies are Guns, Swedish genealogy, Swedish language, and guitar.
I started learning to make boots when I was 10 years old. I made my first pair for myself at 15. Except for 3 years in the US Army, and a few years in Tool & Die making , I have been in it all of my life. I have owned my own shop since l970, when my Father moved to Austin to work with Charlie Dunn. Although I learned from my Father , my boots only resemble his and I have my own style as every bootmaker should have.
I am 60 years old and started in l997 to teach. Though I did have a student in 1975 & 76 that is a very successful bootmaker in Abilene now. I believe my method of teaching is the simplest way to teach and I believe that bootmaking is mostly art and is the expression of the individual bootmaker. Tex Robin
me in front of my shop last year
Floyd Case (Casetradeboots)
Username: Casetradeboots

Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 3:25 pm:   

My name is Floyd Case and operate a bootshop I call, CASE TRADE BOOTS.
I got my early start growing up in Olathe Kansas, at that time home of the Hyer Boot Co. and the Blutcher Boot shop. I used to hang around the Hyer shop and slip off to the different areas of production, cutting, lasting, bottoming, finishing etc. I was gullable and willing to do anything to stay up stairs, so I would sweep up and burnish some heels. Later, when old enough, I worked in a repair shop.
After I got out of the USMC I got another repair shop job in southern California. Worked my way through college doing repair work. I went to Randy Merrills bootmaking course in 95 and began putting together the machines and lasts and tools needed to make boots.
More recently I went down to Coleman Tx and spent a week with Tex Robin. I sometimes refer to that week with Tex as a master class, much like a short course with an established artist. Tex is a master by anyones perception of the term.
I am retired now from disabilities connected with service to the country in Vietnam. I make a few boots and do lots of skeet, trap, and sporting clays shooting. I enjoy life, it's all to short, and making boots.
Christopher M Williamson (Ttex)
Username: Ttex

Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 8:19 am:   

My name is Christopher Williamson, call me Chris.

I have finished my three yr. training as a cobbler here in Denmark with good test results circa Nov. 2003. The training/schooling consisted mostly of repairs and the skills needed to do so along with some orthopaedic adjustments.

When a chance to make shoes from scratch showed it’s self, I jumped on it. As a part of my training/schooling I’ve made and designed shoes and sandals for my wife, military style boots and “look-a-like viking shoes” for my self and all the other usual school projects that have to do with leather.

After the journeyman-test, I found an apprenticeship with an orthopaedic shoemaker. The next step is Boots!

The man I learn from as a cobbler has been in the branch the last (ca.) 14 yrs. His help and guidance has hopefully started a long career with many chances to learn and one day teach someone, so I may do my part in keeping the craft alive.

As I wrote, I am at present starting at the bottom again. We figure I will use ca. 2 yrs. to refine the skills to be a good maker of hand made shoe. I don’t think anybody outside DK knows the name of my present masters shop/store, But what the heck! Wurtzens is the name.

I’m a 38 yr. old family man with two children, the first is working on 15 yrs., the second is 2 yr. old. I have lived in Denmark the last 15 yrs., and have a strong wish to return to Texas with my family and make boots along with doing repairs. In the past I have worked with many things ranging from fishing boats, building and seismic cables to general back breaking work like working in warehouses.

I am personally thankfull for the makers of the disc. group/forum. The more we talk/write with others from the branch the better we become. Apart from that It’s great to communicate with fellow TEXANS! I miss it.

Ya’ll take care
CW
Sometimes A Cold Texan

photo
Richard Cook (Richardc)
Username: Richardc

Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 6:13 pm:   

Greetings.
I have been making cowboy boots since the summer of 1999. I was Jack Reed's last student and I purchased his shop when he retired after 50 years in this business. Bootmaking is currently my second occupation. My website should be online next month.
I was a sculptor when I was younger. I made three public monuments, including the Texas Ranger Monument in San Antonio [which is going to be moved to Kerrville] and several limited edition pieces.
For the past 19 years I have been a full-time Texas peace officer and I currently work for the Gillespie County Sheriff's Dept.
I am a direct descendant of Texas Revolution and Republic of Texas hero, William G. Cooke. You can read about him in the Handbook of Texas Online.
One day in the near future I will retire from law enforcement and from that day forward will be making boots full time.
I appreciate the opportunity to be a part of this forum. I'm also very honored to be a member of
the cowboy bootmaking profession.
Carrlyn Miller (Carrlyn)
Username: Carrlyn

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 7:59 pm:   

Chris,
How long have you been Denmark? Don't you miss Texas? Especially since we were able to have a window open today, and it was in the 60's:-) ?
It was nice that you posted. Keep up letting us know what you are up to. It's really interesting.
Carrlyn Miller (Carrlyn)

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 8:00 pm:   

Hi Richard,
I think that Lee and I met you years ago at one of the Roundups. If you can, post some pictures of your work. How long will it be before you can make boots full time?
Tex Robin (Tex_robin)

Post Number: 55
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 9:00 pm:   

Richard,
Glad to see you posting. Welcome aboard keep um coming. So your ancestors have been around a while.. My Mother's family was in Texas in the Civil War. My GGgrandfather reportedly died in Ark somewhere fighting with Texas. But that was a little after the Revolution in the 1860s....TR
Richard Cook (Richardc)
Username: Richardc

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 11:56 am:   

Carrlyn and Tex:
Thank you for the kind reception. I'm not sure when I'll jump in full time yet. I can't start drawing retirement until next year. I want to see what kind of response my website brings. I'll send pictures of boots as soon as I figure out how to do it.
Being associated with you all is very exciting. It's a close brotherhood like law enforcement.
RC
Brian C. Thomas (Brian_c_thomas)
Username: Brian_c_thomas

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 9:19 pm:   

Howdy! My name is Brian C. Thomas, and I was working in a shoe shop in California as a kid in the early 70's and wanted to learn to make boots. So in 1976 I enrolled at Oklahoma State Tech under Earl Bain direction. After two years at Okmulgee, I ended up working out at Watonga, OK making boots and doing repair work for two years. Then on April 1st 1980 I went to work for Tex Robin as an apprentice Bootmaker. I felt the responsibly to service my Country and left Tex's shop in 1985 to join the Air Force. In the last six years my career has stabilized and I have returned to bootmaking again, only part time. I'm currently one year to the day of my official retirement from the Air Force on 5 Feb 05 for 20 years of service and planning to open my own shop in Abilene, Texas when I retire. Recently in the last six years I have made six pair of boots in two states and in three 3 different boot shops. Currently I have almost all of my machinery and tools and I'm getting ready to get started bootmaking full time. Tex Robin has provide me with a wealth of mentorship, and I hope that after 50 years of bootmaking, I can build a boots as good as Tex Robin.

"Riding for the Brand"
Brian C. Thomas

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2004 - 11:57 am:   

Carrlyn
Sorry about not seeing your post. I’ve been here 15 yrs. And yes I do miss home. You should see me when a visit home is about to end, I get a little nasty! For the most part I do what is possible not to think about it. In short I live here to be with my daughter. She will be 15 soon.

Richard
I just read your posting in this section. I feel like I know you already. I have an idea how cops are, I’ve been surrounded by them most of my life.

You are right about have to to with certain people being an honor. This is a good group that is getting together here.

Brian
I didn’t realize that you have been at this so long, and under Tex so long. You are are lucky!

CW
Lisa Sorrell (Sorrell)
Username: Sorrell

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 1:17 pm:   

My name is Lisa Sorrell. I wasn't raised "cowboy" at all and had never worn a pair of boots until I helped to make my first pair. In 1990 I answered an ad placed by Jay Griffith for someone to stitch boot tops. I had no idea what that was but I could sew clothing so I thought I'd try it. Jay either saw some talent or he was desperate because he hired me. I had never heard of a "custom cowboy bootmaker" but as soon as I figured out what it was I knew that's what I wanted to be. In fact, it was like discovering what I was all along, I just hadn't known it!

I worked for Jay for a year and a half. After I left Jay I bought a 110W and started stitching tops for other bootmakers. Then in 1995 Ray Dorwart (a former student of Jay's) offered to teach me bootmaking. I spent a year and a half with him and in 1996 I opened my own shop.

Several years ago a bootmaker friend of mine told me that there's a rule in bootmaking..."If you ever make a perfect pair of boots you have to quit." I haven't done that yet but I'm sure a lot better than I used to be and hope I continue to improve. I have met SO MANY people in this industry both in person and on the forums who've generously offered advice and help and I'm very grateful.

I'm also thankful for my wonderful husband whose job for years has been to make money so I can lose it. He's patiently waiting for my business to become successful so he can retire and go fishing! We have two daughters, Morgan and Paige, who are 9 and 6 respectively. So far they're still young enough to think having a Mom who's a bootmaker is cool.
Richard Gjelstein (Gjelsteinboots)
Username: Gjelsteinboots

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 10:38 pm:   

Richard Gjelstein here and I have met a few of you and to those I have not, I look forward to the day I can shake your hand and engage in a little conversation and compliment you in person for your great work. Doris and I have been married forty seven years and have three offspring and three grandchildren. I am retired from Law Enforcement from a duty related disability, my rank Chief. I have with the help of Lee and Carrlyn Miller used bootmaking as a rehab and owe them a great debt of gratitude. My hobby is making boots and building a house and hopefully it will end soon and I can spend all my time in the shop. To my brother Richardc it will be tough for awhile but you can do it.

J. H. Johnsen (Jhjohnsen)
Username: Jhjohnsen

Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 11:05 am:   

Hi,
My Nameis John H. Johnsen I started making Cowboy Boots in 1999. I was taught by an Artist Named Maestro Gaxiola From Albany Ca. Other help was from Tex Robin whom gave me information that helped my craft. I also became an owner chef of a Scottish Pub, in Boulder Creek Ca. that I just closed back in January 04. I was Married for 16 years and have 4 children. I'm returning to Custom Bootmaking after closing my Resturant.
I hope to find some great conversation here and to re connect to the Bootmakers brotherhood and sisterhood.

(Message edited by admin on March 04, 2006)

(Message edited by admin on February 11, 2007)
Jim Kitchens (Kitchens)
Username: Kitchens

Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 10:25 am:   

Good Morning, my name is Jim Kitchens and I do not make boots, but I do repair them. I do however make saddles and have been since 1987 and have my own shop. I just recently encorperated the boot and shoe portion into my shop. Jim Davis of Marathon is my mentor and has guided me through some difficult repairs. And I thought repairing and building saddles was hard ... ha. Boots are a whole new ball game.
I have been married to the same wonderful lady, Eileen, for 37 great years raised tow daughters and have two grand children and a great son-in-law, and we live in Marfa, Texas. That is for now, we are purchasing a small place in Gustine, Texas near Comanche. I am looking forward to moving my business up there and continuing to learn the trade from Tex Robins and Eddie and Kathy Kimmel. I am a Cowboy Poet, song write and guitar player. I hope Tex and I can perform at next years Saddle Makers Show in Wichita Falls in October. I have performed in Alpine, Texas at the Cowboy Poets Gathering, in Fort Davis, Texas at the Opera House, in Seguin at the Kingsberry Opera, and a few other locations in the State. At all events such as these cowboys and cowboy gear is prevalent. Boots are a cowboys trade mark and some of the famous boot makes show their wears. I hope to get more involved as time permits.
When we get moved come by for a visit, the coffee is always hot and fresh.
Jim Kitchens
Tex Robin (Tex_robin)

Post Number: 123
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 7:04 pm:   

Jim,
Welcome to the new forum. Let me know when you get moved. I wish it was closer though. To get to Gustine you sure have to be going there. I have been there one time in 64 yrs! We will have to talk about the performing. I do everything in C or with a capo. Under the Double Eagle is my best and I have been learning it for over 50 yrs. Still miss a pluck once in a while.....TR
Dennis Cottle (Shoedoc)
Username: Shoedoc

Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 8:19 pm:   

Hi my name is Dennis Cottle

The picture is old the hair is all white now.
I was born and raised in Upper Michigan and the only boots I saw there were Red Wing or Acme.
I joined the Navy soon after High School and a good friend I had was from Weatherford TX. and he told me about Texas State Technical Institute in Amarillo.
When I got out I went to T.S.T.I. Boot and Shoe program. In 1978 I bought a repair shop in Stratford TX. and continued making boots. I sold the store in 1983 and went back to T.S.T.I. as the boot making instructor. I taught boot making untill the State closed the program in Nov. 1989. I then opened my own boot shop in Feb. 1990 and have been repairing and making boots ever since.
I have one hobby bicycling and my biggest accomplishment was the MS 150 mile ride last Aug.
Carrlyn Miller (Carrlyn)

Post Number: 57
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 9:08 pm:   

Hi Dennis,
We remember you from TSTI with Dave McKinney. It's really a shame that the school closed. We hope that you'll continue to post here. It's nice to meet you.
Tex Robin (Tex_robin)

Post Number: 127
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 10:12 pm:   

Dennis,
Glad to have you here and I hope to see your posts here often..I have probably seen your white hair in the book you and Dave McKinney put together...I use it for my students and it is a very good guide...Welcome....TR
AJ (Sidetrack)
Username: Sidetrack

Posted on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 4:02 am:   

Greetings! My name is Andreas Josef Medeiros. Andy is much easier to say unless of course you speak German. I go by AJ or Sidetrack usually. I always wanted to learn how to make boots who knows why? And then that song Jerry Jeff did about Charlie Dunn made it worse.But as fate would have it alcoholism and drugs played a major role in my life for many years. I won't bore you with all the shameful details of my past as this post would be rather lengthy and it has nothing to do with building boots other than putting me in place to learn the craft in prison. I spent 10 yrs. in Amarillo, TX they have a shoe factory there, I worked it for a little while seen what the factory's do, not cool. I was in the craft shop doing some leather work, mostly art work. And a new guy shows up who is a boot maker! I guess it was fate or the Lord whatever! We were like two peas in the same rotten pod. Boy did we mesh. I was right where I needed to be. I built my first pair after only 5 months! Ricky was very proud of me as it took him two years before he made his first pair. I will add that the stitching was rather ugly! It's not easy driving one of those 31-15's. I was released last May and went right to work and all my money goes to buying everything needed to work my craft. I have spent lots but you all well know what it takes. I pretty much build boots the way that was taught at TSTI in Amarillo, and what Ricky taught me and of course falling into my own groove. I am always picking up little tricks and helpful hints from sites like this. I am sure glad you folks are there! I learned some good things from DW Frommers site, but? I really hope that I will be welcomed here being the black sheep that I've been, I will add that building a pair that fits is a much better high than any drug or drink ever gave me and the hangovers are much different too! You know the sanding burns to fingers, the cuts and scrapes, stabbed fingers and hands. However as of yet I haven't had the pleasure of a jerk needle wound! I realy hope to be at the round-up this year and have the pleasure of meeting you fine folks. I hope that I will be able to pass on what I have learned to some young problem kids our prisons are full of young these. I hope to make a difference in at least one young person's life, give what was so freely given to me. I am happy to say I am drug and alcohol free for the first time in my life and I owe it all to boots! Maybe there is a higher power working in my life, my mom always told me God looks out for drunks and idiots I sure fit that bill. So from the shores of Galveston Bay I close. AJ, aka Sidetrack
Janne Melkersson (Janne_m)
Username: Janne_m

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 6:43 am:   

AJ
Welomme aboard! Hope you will enjoy this site and learn and share a trick or two.
Carrlyn Miller (Carrlyn)

Post Number: 82
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 9:31 am:   

Hi AJ,
It's nice to see you. If you have any pictures of your work, please post them. Galveston is a nice place, and I'll bet you eat a lot of good sea food. Nice to have you here.
Carrlyn Miller (Carrlyn)

Post Number: 86
Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 2:43 pm:   

I'm posting this for Stephanie Ferguson, who is computer challenged :-)
Carrlyn Miller (Carrlyn)

Post Number: 87
Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 2:44 pm:   

Stephanie Ferguson started her career in Ohio making custom-made men’s and women’s sportswear, leather wear, and evening wear. In 1987 her jacket, “The West,” was one of the highlights of the annual “Focus: Fiber Show” on display at the Cleveland Museum of Art.

About the same time, a family friend, Eli D. Miller, An Amishman with a saddlery shop in Mesopotamia, Ohio heard about her sewing skills and invited her to work for him, handling a wide range of custom design and repair work in leather, including restoring antique side-saddles from around the country.

While at Miller’s she read Tyler Beard’s and Jim Arndt’s book, The Cowboy Boot Book, and noted that bootmaker Jack Reed of Burnet, Texas offered lessons in boot-making. She quickly contacted Reed and packed her bags and some sketches. Then, armed with the basics from Reed, she went back to Ohio and practiced. Her work soon began to be selected for inclusion in Cowboy boot exhibits in museums in Colorado, Nebraska, and Texas.

A stint in Nashville, Tenn., working with bootmaker Bo Riddle, who was based there at the time, added still a new dimension to her design capabilities, and in 1998 she studied pedorthics at Oklahoma State University, receiving national certification in that field, to enable her to better serve boot customers with foot and ankle problems.

In 1999 Ferguson and her family moved to Millsap, Texas, 40 miles west of Ft. Worth.

In September 1999 Tyler Beard and James Arndt brought out their second cowboy boot book, Art of the Boot. Ferguson’s creations are among the work of three boot-making firms featured on the back cover and she is one of 26 individual bootmakers profiled in the book.

She has continued to exhibit both boots and leather accessories at selected art shows and currently has boots on display at the Buffalo Bill Memorial Museum in Golden, Colo. and the Bob Bullock Texas Historical Museum in Austin Texas.
Carrlyn Miller (Carrlyn)

Post Number: 106
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 8:16 pm:   

AJ,
Thanks so much for your email. Don't hesitate to ask questions on this site. You'll find it a friendly and informative place where information can be shared, so please participate when you feel so inclined. Also, we would love to see your work, if you have any pictures.

Post Number: 27
Posted on Sunday, March 07, 2004 - 4:51 pm:   

My name is Jan-Erik Melkersson short name, Janne. I have been in the trade since 1976. Mostly in the orthopeadic part of it, where I made my 3years aprenticeship. I'm also making trad. English riding boots and made to measure mens shoes. I run into western boot making 1999 through another bootmaking forum, the Crispin Colloquy. There I meet Tex Robin who invited me to Texas, it did not take long until I was in Texas and the bootmakers round up. Man, I was like a child in the candyshop ;-) I have not made many pairs yet but I enjoy making them. I'm married to Maria and have two sons.
Janet Stoddard (Gadget)
Username: Gadget

Posted on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 2:09 pm:   

My name is Janet Stoddard and I live in Chicago, Illinois. Even though I’m as yankee as they come I’ve always worn cowboy boots. I got interested in making them in the late 90s. This was in part a reaction to the frustration I had with my job as a Design Director for a consumer products company working on packaging for shampoo and deodorant. Even though I had a "creative" job, I didn’t have creative control. If you’ve ever used Suave products or Dove deodorant, you’ve come in contact with my handi-work. Back in ’99 I took 2 weeks vacation to learn bootmaking with Jack Reed in Burnet, TX. A year later, I tried to learn more with Tex Robin. A year later, I was "downsized" after a 15 year career so I took a chunk of my severance and found a bootmaker to take a chance on letting me apprentice. I moved to Weatherford, TX for 6 months and worked with Leonard Green. And I haven’t given up yet. I’ve been consulting in the design field to keep the wolf from the door since ‘01. I sold my condo and bought a house in Chicago with a basement and a garage so I could set up my own shop. I’m s-l-o-w-l-y gathering equipment and nerve to make more boots. I have been helped and encouraged along the way by some amazingly generous folks (you know who you are). I recently finished a pair for a singer/guitar player (with help on the bottoming from Ed Martin in Colorado). I went to see her play and "debut" the boots recently. Some guy yelled out from the audience "I love your boots!". Quite a thrill and very satisfying. Rosie graciously introduced me to the crowd as her bootmaker…I liked the sound of that. And best of all, they fit her to a T.
Got the hat in Texas, the fish in Wisconsin.
Joe Patrickus (Jps_boots)
Username: Jps_boots

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 2:13 pm:   

Janet:
As an old Chicago boy my self,I know where you are coming from...lived in the subs..but left 30 years ago. Now I live in one of the best western states...Missouri, Lake of the Ozarks..come down some time for a vacation if you have not already..

JP
Raymond Harshman (Oldgovguy)
Username: Oldgovguy

Posted on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 7:38 pm:   

Name is Ray Harshman. Set out to learn cowboy boot making to keep busy after retireing from Federal service.

I live in Edmond, Oklahoma and located Bootmakers Ray Dorwart and Lisa Sorrell in Guthrie, less than 20 miles from where I live. Took some time, but talked Ray into teaching me the basics back in 1998, the year I attended my first Roundup in Brownwood.

I walled off an 8 by 20 foot section of my garage for a small shop. Cannot believe how much stuff I'v been able to get into that small area, but except for storing lasts it contains everyting I need to turn out boots, so far about 50 pair. (I think the quality and workmanship of my boots is pretty good, then I compare them to Ray's and Lisa's and wonder if I'll ever come close to their craftsmanship. Doubt it, but I'm sure going to try...)

From time to time I help out Ray and Lisa so as to gain as much of their knowledge and expertize as I can. They are both first rate human beings and have been a great help to me.

I've been monitoring the Forum for the past couple weeks and have picked up some good ideas and info to put to good use. I know several of the Forum's posters by sight as I've attended the last four Roundups. Several of you have seen me at one of the Roundups, but probably did not know my name. Once I figure out how to post a photo you'll be able to put my name to the face.

Hope to see all of you at the Roundup this Fall.

Carrlyn Miller (Carrlyn)

Post Number: 121
Posted on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 10:25 pm:   

Ray,
Welcome to this site. I'm familiar with Edmund, and Guthrie too. I was raised in Ks, and would take the I35 route home when I went to see my family. As a matter of fact, Paul's Valley is one of my favorite places to drive through. And, the Prairie Schooner in Ardmore is where we would stop for a bite to eat. Welcome to this site.
Tex Robin (Tex_robin)

Post Number: 209
Posted on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 10:31 pm:   

Ray,
Yeah, Welcome. Post us a picture!...TR
Susan Downs (Volvochick)
Username: Volvochick

Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 10:14 pm:   

Hi - My name is Susan Downs and I hail from Bartlesville, OK. I am new to the cobbling bit. Not finding exactly what I was looking for (and being an in between size) has lead me to become my own seamstress. For years I have wanted to make my own shoes and boots as well, but the opportunity never presented itself. The books and info I had found in the past on making shoes produced shoes that looked more like bedroom slippers - not what I was looking for! While browsing on-line about a week ago, looking for something totally different, I found Mary Wales Loomis' book "Make your own shoes". From the pictures on the site I could see these weren't no bedroom slippers. So I immediately ordered the book and in doing so had a nice little chat with the author herself. I am now in the process of making my own lasts, one pair for pumps and one pair for boots, two different shaped toes and heel heights. It's probably a good thing I don't have to cook for a crew every night. My kitchen counters are covered! In a small town like Bartlesville, sources are limited so I am still looking for suppliers for various things for when I actually start making the shoes/boots. Once I have made a couple of pairs, I want to move on to cowboy boots. I can hardly wait!

My son wants me to make him some boots to wear with his kilt. The last time I made him something I had to make one for his friends too. I made a nice little sum but they sure kept me busy! Every year before the Renaessaince Fairs I have new orders to fill for them. Repeat customers! If I get the knack of this cobbling thing, I may be able to turn a tidy profit!

Recently my spare time (ha) has been spent working on old volvos, but that should slack off once we get the engine and tanny in. My son can finish the rest by himself!

I look forward to learning from all of you! It's the little tips and tricks that can make a big difference in the finished product!
Tom O'Sullivan (Tomo)
Username: Tomo

Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 1:27 am:   

Hey ya Susan,
I thought that was a great profile. It sure says a LOT about the type of person you are, good on ya! And good luck with your quest.
T.
Carrlyn Miller (Carrlyn)

Post Number: 143
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 11:45 am:   

Hi Susan, and welcome here. I used to go to Bartlesville when I was going to school in Stillwater. It's a nice, little town. Post some pictures of your work when you get a chance.
Susan Downs (Volvochick)

Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 6:43 pm:   

Thanks for the welcome. As far as pictures of my work, I don't have any shoes finished yet. But here one of my finest pieces of work, my youngest, Ben, wearing the kilt and Jacobean shirt I made for him.

Ben in his favorite piece of clothing
Susan Downs (Volvochick)

Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 6:44 pm:   

Thanks for the welcome. As far as pictures of my work, I don't have any shoes finished yet. But here one of my finest pieces of work, my youngest, Ben, wearing the kilt and Jacobean shirt I made for him.

Tom O'Sullivan (Tomo)

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 3:10 am:   

Well, it's about time I submitted my profile, so here goes.
My name's Tom O'Sullivan and I live in a little service town called Otaki, which is about an hours drive north of the capital of New Zealand, Wellington.
I've had an interest in footwear from an early age as my mother was the Sample machinist for a footwear firm here called Feltex. She worked in the pattern room with the guys who designed the shoes. It was her job to make up each shoe complete then write up the sequence so they knew how to make the shoes in the factory.

When I was about 12-13 I'd design shoes and Mum would take them to work for the guys to look at. Don't know that they made any up but it was fun. Then, when I was alittle bit older I wrangled a job at a riding school on the weekends and got interested in saddlery and horse stuff. Although I was 6 when I rode my first horse.

I've messed around with horses off and on for years now, working as a stud groom, saddler (mostly), leather worker, shepherd and whatever. Most of the saddlery here is English although I've spent time building both Western and English saddles and a stint at one place that made Western boots - but that was 'bout 20 years ago that I did the boots and It's something that's been dogging me for years.

I manage a firm here that produces all the country's police duty belts as well as belts for the public and other organisations like the fire brigade etc. The best part is that I have access to some great machines and equipment : )

Working as a stud groom ( Thoroughbred) was great for gaining first hand knowledge into the racing industry and the farming bit helped with the working horse stuff.

My horse interests include Dressage riding and of course Western riding. That's why I'm interested in building the riding boots.

T.Me at the Bench...
Tom O'Sullivan (Tomo)

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 3:25 am:   

Apologies for the messy bench, I'm in the process of building a backboard for the tools (in the box). The hammer in front of me is a London Pattern one and the cream coloured handle sticking out from beneath the claw hammer is a Common shoe hammer - a very old one, I made a new handle for it from Yew.
T.
Keith Travis (Ktravis)
Username: Ktravis

Posted on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 7:46 am:   

Hello to all. My name is Keith Travis, and I have a shop in Sugarcreek, Ohio. I opened my first shop in 1982 doing boot repair and building and repairing saddles. I bought a pair of lasts to build myself a pair of boots when I got my other work caught up and had some time. I still have the lasts, but I have not made a pair of boots yet.(This is a good thing, I have been busy) I have done some intensive rebuilds over the years, and in some cases it would be easier to start from scratch. I really enjoy buying and selling leather tools and equipment, and I currently have a website under construction. I invite you to check it out at www.keithssaddleshop.com, but understand that it might be a while until the tools are posted. I have a small farm also, and right now the cows are calving, the fence needs fixed, and it is real easy to spend too much time at the computer. The busy season for me starts when the weather gets nice, and I think it's finally here. Wishing you all the best,
Keith
Tex Robin (Tex_robin)

Post Number: 241
Posted on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 6:34 pm:   

Keith,
Welcome, buckeye! I have been to your state in the 50s. I went to Camp Perry for the National Rifle Matches with the Army in 58. Had a good time in Sandusky. I had a look at your page, nice work....TR
Mark (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 8:48 am:   

Everybody,

As of 4-2-04 we have a total of 50 users. At this time, we have in the neighborhood of 20 profiles.

Get to profiling!!!!
Gary Cunningham (Gcunning)
Username: Gcunning

Post Number: 48
Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 7:07 pm:   

Hi, I’m Gary Cunningham, 41 years old. I grew up in a ranching family, worked cattle, rode horses all my life. I have a wonderful wife of 13 years, Shelly, and 2 girls—Callie, 9 and Kelise, 7. I graduated from Texas Tech Univ. with an Agriculture degree and hold a masters in Education and Biology from Midwestern State Univ. In my 20’s I worked mostly in sales for Motorola, in cattle contracting, and even a short stint as a stock broker. I taught science and coached football for 12 years and for the past 2 years I have been a welding instructor.
My leather “career” started 31 years ago with a Tandy kit. I did the kit thing, billfolds, belts and went to all the Tandy demonstrations that I could. I did evolve into more horse type gear later in high school and college. In college as a member of the rodeo team, I repaired gear for a little extra money. In the early 90’s I ran into Wes Morton, a saddle maker from Nocona. He told me about BROWNWOOD! I went and was in total LaLa land! I met Carl Chappell there as well. I finally went to his school in 2000 and have been “attempting” to make boots during my time off from school and ranching responsibilities.
Tex Robin (Tex_robin)

Post Number: 253
Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 11:48 pm:   

Gary,

Well, It's about time you posted a profile....Welcome! Now get started on another pair of boots....TR
Walt Setzer (Walt)
Username: Walt

Posted on Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 6:33 am:   

I retired in October 2000 from the US Marshals Service in Pocatello, ID. I also worked as a US Border Patrol Agent in San Diego, CA for 6 1/2 years. I was offered a position as an instructor at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center in Brunswick, GA and am currently teaching tactical building entry and warrant service techniques to new agents and uniformed officers. I also teach in a Seaport Security Anti-Terrorism class for US Coast Guard. I have had an interest in leatherworking for years but due to time constraints, have been limited to making some holsters and small items. My real desire is to learn to make boots and be able to supplement my retirement with that so I can work for myself. I am in awe of the talent that I see displayed on this site and would hope that I could develop the skills that you folks have. I am now exploring schools and have corresponded with Tex Robin who sounds like someone who I could get along with and hopefully pick his brain. Thanks again for allowing me to join this group. (Tex, maybe I will make the trip on my bike since you said that you ride also.)
Mark W. Fletcher (Bronbo)

Post Number: 141
Posted on Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 6:42 am:   

Walt,

Welcome aboard! One of the reasons this Forum was created is for newer craftspeople who are looking for information. Don't be afraid to ask any of our "experts" questions.

Keep posting.

Mark
Tex Robin (Tex_robin)

Post Number: 386
Posted on Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 7:20 am:   

Walt,

Yes, welcome but I am afraid I am retired from the bike riding. Still like to hear a Harley going down the highway and dream though. Still do a little shooting and play my guitars a little and make some boots. Hope you can get started in the bootmaking and once again welcome.....TR

Post Number: 64
Posted on Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 10:08 am:   

Walt are you set up for receiving postings from this site?
If so you need to check out the infomation on the Wichita Falls Show and come to the BBQ.
That way you can meet legends like Tex and others in person.
Mark you can move this or delete it after Walt gets a chance to look at it.

Post Number: 143
Posted on Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 8:16 pm:   

Here is a photo or Ray Harshman who added his profile above.

Walt Setzer (Walt)

Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 8:49 am:   

I am receiving the postings and would love to get out there to meet everyone. I am working six days a week right now (good reason to learn to make boots for a living). There is a lot of talent here. Tex, if I make it out on the bike, I'll let you sit on it and play guitar. You can be a modern singing cowboy.
Tex Robin (Tex_robin)

Post Number: 388
Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 9:12 am:   

Walt,
You might better keep your six days. Bootmakers work 24-7.. Or at least some of them do...I don't...As for the Harley, you might better keep the keys. I still have my license!...TR
Walt Setzer (Walt)

Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 9:22 am:   

I don't mind doing what I like 24/7, just don't want to work for the govt that much. I might even be convinced to trade a ride for some knowledge and a cowboy song or two. I look forward to meeting one of these days. What is date of the Wichita Falls Roundup?
AJ Medeiros (Sidetrack)
Username: Sidetrack

Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 4:33 pm:   

Walt,

Greetings! Welcome to the best place on the planet! Hope to see more postings from you. Myself I tend to slack-off from time to time I keep forgeting that I am a member of this very exclusive club!!! Great to have you aboard. AJ
Tim Bishop (Libertymesa)
Username: Libertymesa

Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 4:25 pm:   

Well here goes I just got on and could not wiat to get to posting so hang on. My name is Tim Bishop i have a boot shop in Tucumcari NM i have been building Boots here for ten years or so. I am really excited to have this place on the web for us all to go and visit swap info and so on some of you know me and i hope sometime to be able to meet as many as possible. I have been married 13 years this oct and have two wonderful kids {most times anyway} ages 10 and 6. I am grateful to be able to do what i love for a living and hope to be at it a long time.

Post Number: 203
Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 5:54 pm:   

Tim,

Welcome aboard! I hope you use this Forum as a resource and post pictures of your work.

Mark
Tex Robin (Tex_robin)

Post Number: 462
Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 6:32 pm:   

Tim,
Glad to have you. Now don't hang up. Tell us more and post some of your work. And don't be afraid to ask a question or two...TR
Carrlyn Miller (Carrlyn)

Post Number: 214
Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 8:18 pm:   

Hi Tim,
It's nice to meet you. We're so glad that you found your way here. Please do post pictures of your work. We would love to see it. We think you'll find everyone really friendly and helpful here.

Carrlyn & Lee

Post Number: 122
Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 9:35 pm:   

Tim Welcome! Seen your web site many times. Post it please and some boot PICs. Any Last/equipment still for sale? There is a place on this forum to post it too. still Will you be at Wichita Falls, TX in October?

"Welcome Fir The Brand"
Brian C. Thomas
Russ Saunders (Russ)
Username: Russ

Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 8:12 am:   

My name is Russ Saunders. I have a boot and saddle repair shop in Central City, NE. I have been building boots part time for a number of years. My wife, Linda, and I have been married 35 years this November. We have raised four great kids. We have a girl, two boys and another girl ranging in age from 33 down to age 21. I have a farm and ranch background from western Nebraska.
Tex Robin (Tex_robin)

Post Number: 463
Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 8:23 am:   

Russ,
Welcome to our forum. If I can be of assistance just holler and again welcome...TR
Russ Saunders (Russ)

Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 8:29 am:   

Thanks Tex, I appreciate that. Russ
Carrlyn Miller (Carrlyn)

Post Number: 215
Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 8:42 am:   

Hi Russ,
Nice to see you here. Is Central City in western Nebraska? My mother, and stepfather used to live in Blair, which is over by Omaha. Lee and I like the picture you posted on your boots.
Russ Saunders (Russ)

Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 8:55 am:   

Carrlyn, Central City is approximately 120 miles west of Omaha and 23 miles NE of Grand Island. It is pretty much "central" Nebraska. Thanks.

Post Number: 204
Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 8:59 am:   

Russ,

Welcome!

It's good to see makers from other States. Are there any other bootmakers in NE?

Mark

Post Number: 70
Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 1:41 pm:   

Welcome Russ:
Glad to see more bootmakers coming on board. You will find a lot of great people here. They are also very helpfull. We are not too far from you here at Lake of the Ozarks..have you been here for a vacation yet?

JP
Ben_nobody (Ben_nobody)
Username: Ben_nobody

Post Number: 35
Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 5:17 am:   

Tim,
I had to resole a pair of your boots last year, they were for a young man that now works on a ranch nearby the boots were very well made. welcome to this forum! You will find these folks are always willing to extend a helping hand and words of encouragement. I also would like to welcome you as well Russ, I have been slow on staying up with things since the end of June as my wife had surgery so for the past three weeks I have had to cook clean and do laundry as well as pick up behind me and I can tell you when I catch up with myself me and me gotta have a talk,cause one of us is creating way to much WORK! But again WELCOME both of you.
Ben
Russ Saunders (Russ)

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 5:26 am:   

Mark, you asked if there are other bootmakers in Nebraska. Personally, I don't know if there are any others or not. Joe, we haven't been your way for a vacation yet, but have seriously considered going to Branson to see what it is like. Ben, thanks for the welcome. The next time I post some photos, I will be sure they are much smaller. Russ
Carrlyn Miller (Carrlyn)

Post Number: 217
Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 8:21 am:   

There was a saddlemaker/bootmaker in the Leander/Lampasas back in the mid 80's by the name of Gene Marshall. He studied bootmaking under Jack Reed. He and his wife Star built saddles, boots, and belts. He relocated to western Nebraska to be closer to his family in the late 80's, early 90's. I believe the town was Norfolk???, but I don't remember for sure. We haven't heard from him in years, so we don't know if he's still there or not.
Tim Bishop (Libertymesa)
Username: Libertymesa

Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 6:43 pm:   

Thanks for the Hi's and Hello's I am glad to be here Brian I am hoping to be in Wichita this fall and i do still have a few lasts but not a bunch i need to inventory them again, I will post some pics of boots but my wife is out of town and i aint exactly fluent in computer yet this is about as gutsy as i get and i still manage to mess up a email or two thanks again and if anyone knows where i could find some good cameel in black and tan that is not a bullhide looking finish i am looking for some smooth print with the hair folicle holes in it but not too grainy? i have checked all the folks i know sun city, hardtke,mahler etc. any help greatly appreciated.
Rosemary Logan (Bootqueen)
Username: Bootqueen

Posted on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 5:01 pm:   

Suppose it is time I put a profile here. My husband and I retired from the professional world
a few years back. Walter worked for Employers Insurance Co for 37 yearsand was their representative to the Texas State Industrial Accident Board. I sold real estate in Dallas and Houston for over 30 years. We have two daughters one in Austin and one in Minneapolis. Our only grandchild is now 18 years of age and will be going to college this fall. My son in law is such a fine person and builds elevators in Minneapolis and places nearby. Some of you do know that my husband passed away last October 30. It has not been exactly easy getting along without someone who was with you for 47 years but I am getting there.

Because I have been blessed with some abilities
in the craft areas I developed an interest in learning how to build boots. So far I have not done a lot toward this ambition because taking care of Walter in his final days prevented me from doing some things. Since Walter's demise there have been so many details to handle but I have not lost hope. One of these days I want to go take some lessons with Tex Robin. So far I
have accumulated some hand tools and also have a
wonderful boot bench some instruction books and patterns. I have met some really great people in the boot business and it means a lot to me to get to visit with them on occasions and to sometimes converse with them on the phone or internet. If I were younger I would get into the boot building business full force. Knowing this is a lifetime endeavor it may be a bit late for me to do a lot toward building boots. After seeing Janet's nice green boots I have hope for me. Janet said if she can do it anyone can do it. I think my disclipine will be in the area of making the boot tops because I am skilled at
sewing. I also do upholstery work very well and
I have studied art and design. I have never worked with leather which is a new medium for me
but I am willing to learn.

In the past the only things I ever wanted to do beside get married and have a family was to work
as an airline stewardess. Fortunately I was able to do that in the long ago days when flight
attendants were considered to be queens. It was a great era which affored us many great experiences and whereby we met fabulous people and went fabulous places.

Following that and having a family I only wanted to sell real estate. I also worked at that when it was fun and interesting and spent many years
helping people find or sell their homes. I have been in every house almost in North Dallas and West Houston and that is a lot of houses.

Now in my twilight years I want to learn something about building a beautiful boot. I have the greatest admiration for the talents of all of you. So many of you are a standard for one like me to seek. Bit by bit things are coming together for me and one day you will see something I have put together. My best to all!

Post Number: 210
Posted on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 5:23 am:   

Rosemary,

Welcome. Glad you finally posted your profile. It sounds like you have had an interesting life and I am happy to hear that you have plans to keep it interesting by learning bootmaking.

Mark
Elmer Walls (Elmer_walls)
Username: Elmer_walls

Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 2:49 pm:   

My name is Elmer Walls, I live near Clayton NM and make custom cowboy boots mostly for working cowboys and my friends who just like to wear handmade boots.

I am retired from the Dept. of Interior (Bureau of Land Mgt.) I worked the Wild Horse and Burro Program for many years in the Northwest until I got to old and stove up. I am a student of Carl I Chappells and still have a long way to go.

I was visiting with Tex Robin in Wichita Falls and he told me about this forum which I think is great for novice bootmakers like myself to have access to the best bootmakers in the business
Tex Robin (Tex_robin)

Post Number: 507
Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 3:21 pm:   

Elmer,
Welcome and glad to have you aboard. If I can help you in any way feel free to ask. Glad to have seen you in WF again....TR
Ben_nobody (Ben_nobody)

Post Number: 110
Posted on Friday, October 08, 2004 - 5:46 am:   

Welcome Elmer!
You have joined a fascinating group of dedicated and driven ,independent,imaginative minded,passionate about their individual styles of boots that one is likely to ever encounter! I think you will enjoy all the aspects this forum can provide as well as the accelerated learning process of a vast resource of experience's. By the way some would say that I may be given to bein' sorta wordy now and then. It's cause I am havin' way to much fun ,or maybe it's the glue!!!
Glad your here!!
Ben
Lee Miller (Lee_miller)
Username: Lee_miller

Post Number: 84
Posted on Friday, October 08, 2004 - 8:35 am:   

Elmer,
Good to have you here. Please post pictures of your boots when you can.

Lee
Jim Bultsma (Bultsma)
Username: Bultsma

Posted on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 6:12 pm:   

Well I have always been slow to catch on but I usually catch up sooner or later. I wondered where everybody went to from the CC. I figured there had to be something going on somewhere. I got a call from a Mr. Harshman and he told me about this site and here I am.
My name is Jim Bultsma. I have a shop in Hot Springs SD. I was taught bootmaking by my father-in-law Monte Birdsall. He isn't in the greatest of health anymore and does not make boots now. He was taught by a gentleman from Billings by the name of Mike Ives who I believe is still making boots.
I am happy to have found you folks again. I was convinced you all did not fall off the face of earth at the same time. I am looking forward to the interaction.
Thanks for the tip Ray.

Jim Bultsma

Post Number: 248
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 6:24 pm:   

Jim,

Welcome to our Forum and many thanks to Ray.
Lee Miller (Lee_miller)

Post Number: 85
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 7:41 pm:   

Jim,
Nice to see you here. You'll find this site friendly and informative. Post some pictures when you can.

Lee & Carrlyn
Daniel Gordon (Danielg)
Username: Danielg

Posted on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 8:11 pm:   

Hello, My name is Daniel Gordon and I have been following this website for a couple of months and decided it was time to introduce myself. I live in Peachland, British Columbia, Canada with my wife Carol and daughter Sarah. I've been making boots for about 4 years in my little shop in the basement as a sideline. This website is very friendly and informative and filled with a lot of very incrediably talented people. I am computer illiterate, I'm good at breaking them and not using them, so with my wife's help I am posting this. I am self taught with the help of Dennis Cottle's book plus the internet.
Daniel Gordon
Tex Robin (Tex_robin)

Post Number: 515
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 8:58 pm:   

Jim,
Welcome. I have conversed with you several times on the CC..I am still using the piece of cork on my Jack Sander. Needs changing but has been on there for a few yrs now. It has only worn down on one edge...I tried to get Jake to post the address of our forum on the CC but he wouldn't dare. The chicken. Maybe he will come out of hiding now that I have called him a chicken :-)...TR
Lee Miller (Lee_miller)

Posted on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 9:46 pm:   

Daniel,
Welcome to the Forum. Glad to have you here. I'm not the best at computer's either, but it's getting a little easier. If you have any questions, this is a good place to ask them.

Lee
Richard Gjelstein (Gjelsteinboots)
Username: Gjelsteinboots

Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 5:05 am:   

Welcome to the forum Daniel, it is nice to know there is a bootmaker nearby. This Yank lives South on Highway 97 in Brewster. Use to vacation in Penticton when the kids were still in school. If your ever this way stop in.

Richard
Ben_nobody (Ben_nobody)

Post Number: 142
Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 1:16 pm:   

Welcome Daniel,
I like yuorself am in the process of self learning this vile contemptous piece of technology. Needless to say it has been very entertaining. As the others have stated if there is any thing you need help with just holler.
Ben Nobody
Daniel Gordon (Danielg)

Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 11:32 pm:   

Lee, Richard and Ben,
Thanx for welcoming me on board, it's going to be fun and very informative. Richard, I didn't realize you were that close by. I'm hoping to be able to drop down to see you in the near future. It would be great to meet you.
Daniel Gordon
Tex Robin (Tex_robin)

Post Number: 518
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 8:19 am:   

Welcome Daniel, Hope you find this forum very informative and you will post often...TR
Daniel Gordon (Danielg)

Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 10:31 pm:   

Hi Tex,
Thank you for welcoming me on board. There are so many talented individuals, like yourself, on this forum, I know that I will learn a lot in this positive environment.
I'm looking forward to your technique for finishing heels and soles as they always look so good.
Daniel Gordon

Post Number: 159
Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 7:32 am:   

Gordon, welcome to the Forum very nice looking boots.

I know I have missing Welcoming some of you in the past, but I did not want to clutter the profiles up with too much chatter.

Mark, maybe you could move those Profile Welcomes, post here as a new thread?

"New Thread for the Brand"
Brian C. Thomas
Randy Cooley (Rocky)
Username: Rocky

Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 9:08 am:   

Hi Everyone
I’m Randy. One year ago I returned to leather crafting after a long absence. I’m from Waukegan Illinois where I own a detective agency and work part time as a police officer. I also have a small leather working business called Bulldog Leather Company.
I make wallets, checkbook covers, belt buckles and custom fit concealment holsters for my law enforcement buddies. After much research, I decided I would like to do some boot making. First I would like to make a pair for myself then take it from there. I’ve posted to a couple other boot sits and found everyone most helpful.. I’ve been in contact with Tex Robin and hope to get down to Texas sometime and take his boot-making course. Right now I’m just glad to be back in communication with other leather craftsman!
Me and My Scooter
Ben_nobody (Ben_nobody)

Post Number: 178
Posted on Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 6:07 am:   

Welcome Rocky,
I and everyone else extend a hearty congratulations on your choosin to sail off into the great abyss of this murky trade with it's diverse ways to achieve the same end.If you are able, going to Tex's shop and spendin time under his tutoring in this trade will give you a firm foundation from which to grow your abilities in bootmakin. Best of luck on your Pilgrimage and try to get to Tex's place as it will be a great start. Did I mention you should go see Tex Robin about buildin boots. Some think it is not required to respond to everyone that throws a line in our pond. I on the other hand believe that every ember deserves the oppurtunity to become a fire that burns in each individual to aspire to be the kind of bootmakers that would honor those that have traveled this weary road before us. OH!! By the way you might get in touch with Tex Robins about learnin bootmakin as I hear he teaches it right well!! Best of Luck and WELCOME!!!
By His Grace
Ben Nobody
Daniel Gordon (Danielg)

Post Number: 70
Posted on Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 12:19 am:   

Randy,
Welcome to the forum. You'll find it very interesting and informative. You couldn't find a better person to learn bootmaking from than Tex.
Daniel Gordon
Randy Cooley (Rocky)

Posted on Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 9:47 am:   

Hey Ben and Dan,
Your welcome and encouragment are most appreciated!
Randy
Carrlyn Miller (Carrlyn)

Post Number: 324
Posted on Monday, January 17, 2005 - 9:45 am:   

Hi Randy,
Glad to see that you made your way over here.The people here are super. How did you get interested in working with leather?
Randy Cooley (Rocky)

Posted on Monday, January 17, 2005 - 10:47 am:   

Hi, Carrlyn,
Your right, this is a super bunch of people!
I worked with leather a little as a kid in scouts.
As a police officer (left handed) at that,I wasnt happy with the selection of "south paw" leather handgun holsters available from the major holster manufactors. About a year ago I took the bull by the horns and started designing and building my own holsters. Next came wallets,moneyclips, checkbook covers, belt buckles, change purses and on and on. I now have a nicely equipted shop complete with 2 sewing machines.
I put an unconditional guarantee on everything I sell and most things sell as fast as I can make them. Leather work has proven to be a real diversion from my normal day of "cuffing and stuffing" as a police officer. Hopefully soon, I hope to get down to Texas and study boot making under Tex.

Post Number: 210
Posted on Monday, January 17, 2005 - 10:03 pm:   

Randy, you will not find a better bootmaker, teacher than Tex Robin, I speak from many years as an employee and Tex is my mentor. Welcome to the board.

"Hogs for the Brand"
Brian C. Thomas
Pelle Kraft (Pelle_kraft)
Username: Pelle_kraft

Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 7:55 am:   

I am a Swedish shoemaker working in London, England since fifteen years. I work as an "outworker" for four of the few remaining firms here that still make shoes completely by hand. The trade is roughly divided into three categories here and I work as a "maker". I started making shoes when i was about seventeen years old in Stockholm, Sweden but had a few years break doing all kind of other jobs before I was lucky to find employement with one of the shoe/bootmakers in London on a short holiday. By chance, I got to know my fellow Swede and shoe/bootmakerJanne Melkerson several years ago when he was on a trip to England and was impressed by his ambition and his way of making boots and shoes himself from last to finished product. We are old friends by now! I was fortunate enough to meet Tex Robin, his wife and one of their daughters at a bootmaking seminar a few years ago organised by Janne and Tex and I was very impressed with Tex´s way of working, his excellent craftmanship, artistic skill, his attitude to the trade and ability to make the seminar such an interesting and enjoyable experience! Tex´s "simple" way of making boots appeals very much to mee as I find shoe and bootmaking complicated enough as it is anyway. I have also had the pleasure of meeting Carl Lichte, the lastmaker and Michael Anthony, the bootmaker on a couple of occasions. Both of them great guy´s and impressive craftsmen! Western boots were fairly popular in Sweden when I grew up and I always loved them and found them very good for use in snow and cold weather. As a teenager I bought a few pairs of Western boots in Stockholm but also ordered three pairs from a factory that made them to size and ones specifications in Texas. I believe Luskey´s was the name of that company? I bought the first cowboyboot book when it came out and was amazed by the beautiful boots in that book! I love the artistic possibilites the tops represent but also the beautful lines of the foot and heel on a well balanced pair. I have been following this forum for a while now and am very pleased to be able to join all the talented people here!
Tex Robin (Tex_robin)

Post Number: 618
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 8:41 am:   

Pelle,
Welcome to the forum and good to hear from you again. Wish you could have come to Texas last year with the Swedish delegation. We had a great time in Wichita Falls. Glad to hear that you enjoyed the seminar in Stockholm. It was a real experience for me too and I am glad I could pass on something to the trade. I enjoyed the coffee and cake more than anything! Janne always speaks highly of you and regards you as one of the best shoemakers in the trade. Keep up the good work and post here often and feel free to post some photos of your work and also where you work. And once again welcome....TR

Post Number: 118
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 3:59 pm:   

Pelle,
I'm glad to welcome you and to have you abord on the forum, it was nice to read your profile and I'm happy to be your old friend!

Pelle introduced me to the London West End style of hand made shoes and that was really something! Before I meet Pelle I didn't even know they still where making that kind of stuff. Pelle is not only my mentor but my co-operator as well, he forget to mention that he also is a very good closer! Among others, he closed the Hussar Boot upper I posted some month ago.

Next time I'm going to the round-up in Wichita Falls I will take some swedes with me and I'm sure Pelle will come :-)

Again, welcome.........................Janne

Post Number: 256
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 6:29 pm:   

Pelle, welcome to the Forum!

The Berg's are making boots in my shop!

"Welcome for The Brand"
Brian C. Thomas

Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 8:56 am:   

Hello Tex!

Thank you for welcoming me to the forum and for kind words! Janne told me you had a good time in Wichita Falls last year and hope I can make it another time! I can imagine that it is not so easy to hold a seminar but it worked out very well for you I think! I enjoyed it very much even if I had a nasty cold at the time and it was so interesting to see how Cowboy boots should be made in the real, Texas way! They are good at shoe and ridingboot making here in London but once in a bluemoon there is an order for Cowboyboots but somehow they never look really like they should....to be honest. And yes, I enjoyed Marias cakes too!
I have´nt got a digital camera yet and am not quite sure of how to use them but Janne is good with that kind of stuff and might be able to give me some advise. I will have to tidy up the workshop quite a bit first though! All the best! Pelle.

Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 8:59 am:   

Hello Janne!

Thank you for wecolming me "aboard", old friend! (with the emphasis on old!). I forgot about the closing but think it is just as well to keep a low profile about the closing in this company with so many REALLY good closers! I am sure I will find an opportunity to come with you to the round up in Wichita Falls soner or later now you have become a "regular"! I will give you a ring about digital cameras and hope you can give me some advise about them, soon. Take care! Pelle

Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 5:23 pm:   

Hello Brian and thank you for welcoming me!
The Berg pincers are the best lasting pliers I have ever tried! Shame they dont make them anymore... I saw some that were never used in a museum in Sweden and almost felt like breaking the glass on the cabinet! Glad to hear they are useful for you so you can "last for the brand"!

All the best! Pelle.

Post Number: 129
Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 8:26 pm:   

Janne
I took some friends to the stock yards Friday and was wondering if ya'll ever made it to Fort Worth last time?

Post Number: 120
Posted on Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 7:36 am:   

Gary,
glad to hear from you, thank's again for your bbq evening! Btw, I have ordered an American smoker. If my brisket don't taste like those in Texas I will give you a ring :-)

I'm afraid we didn't made it to Forth Worth last year. Maybe next time.

Janne
Al Franklin (Al_franklin)
Username: Al_franklin

Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 8:14 am:   

Hey!
My name is AL Franklin, found this site through Brian Thomas. I started repairing Boots and Shoes in Mineola, Texas in the mid 80's. While there I would venture down to see Jack Reed while he was still living in Henderson, TX. I wouldn't actually classify myself as a finished student of his. I explained to him that as a young family man that I couldn't afford to be a full time student. His solution was to come and learn and pay as you go. Which I will be eternally grateful to Jack for.
I left the "business" and joined the Army in Jan 91. Where I continue to serve today as a helicopter pilot. I have been stationed in Germany for the last 5 years and have collected every shoemaker's tools I could get my hands on. At present my basement is mostly full of machines, tools, last, leather, etc.
The current plan is to return to East Texas in Jan 2011 after Army retirement and set up shop. Anyway looking forward to visiting with you guys on the Forum and if you are in Germany give me a call. On that note would be very interested in meeting shoemakers in the Central Germany area. Thanks, AL Franklin
Randy Cooley (Rocky)

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 8:54 am:   

Hi Al,
Semper Fi and welcome to the forum. There's a super bunch of folks here. Right now I design and build custom holsters, wallets, knife sheaths ect., and have assembeled most of the tools I need to start my first pair of boots. My dream vacation,hopefully one day soon is to spend a couple of weeks with Tex Robin and learn the basics from one of the best in the business.
Best Wishes, Randy

Post Number: 282
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 8:17 pm:   

Al, what took you so long to get here? I retired waiting for you Welcome:-)Now get some boots built and don't forget my Curve Needle!

"The Brand"
Brian C. Thomas

Cindy Semmerling (Scboots)
Username: Scboots

Posted on Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 10:28 pm:   

Hey All! I should have done this long ago, but whew!!!.... I don't know how all of you find the time to do all the great posting. I don't even seem to have time to read my email! For those of you who don't know me, I am a bootmaker who sort of "fell" into bootmaking. Retiring in 1991 after 20 years in the Air Force, the VA offered to send me to school. I thought I wanted to be a saddlemaker and found there were only two VA approved saddlemakeing schools in the nation - one in WA and one in OK. I was all set to go the the one in WA state when my (now ex)husband got transfered to Sheppard AFB TX. I followed him, kicking and screaming all the way from Montana and got almost all the way to TX. We found a place just north of the Red River. Since I was too far south to go to the school in WA, they sent me to OSU Okmulgee instead. Good thing too -since the OK school is both a saddle AND boot school. I didn't even know people still made custom boots! I thought I wanted to learn to make saddles, but instead, I fell in love with making boots! I later had the opportunity to go to Chappel's school and learn his method of bootmaking. I"ve tried, since I started school in '93 to learn from everyone I meet and my bootmaking has become a great melting pot of methods. I don't believe there are any "wrong" ways of doing things - as long as they work - just different ways that work for different people. "Backyard Boots" is literally in my backyard, with all the horses right out my window. I now supplement my bootmaking with raising and selling cutting horses. Best of both worlds! My sincerest "KUDOS" to those of you that are so involved in this forum. It is a GREAT vat of knowledge. I may not post often, but you can be sure I am reading!! Thank you all and keep it up! "e-bootmaking for the brand" (thank you Brian!!)

Post Number: 283
Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2005 - 9:30 am:   

Cindy, Welcome! It's about time :-) You will only find Non-Fiction boots on this web site.

"Non-Fiction boots for the Brand"
Brian C. Thomas
Tex Robin (Tex_robin)

Post Number: 676
Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2005 - 10:03 am:   

Cindy,
Yes, you should have posted here long ago, but welcome. I know people are busy but not too busy to keep in touch. We make time for what we want to do. Not have time but make time!..So don't become one of the ghosts we have on our profile page! Got that ghosts...Do some posting. Post some of your work and tell how you do it and once again welcome to this forum. We promise to not bore you to death with long posts in reply!....TR
Carrlyn Miller (Carrlyn)

Post Number: 398
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 10:07 am:   

Hi Cindy,
It's good to see you here. When you can post some pictures of your work. We'd love to see them. You'll find everyone here very, very friendly.

Post Number: 289
Posted on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 7:21 pm:   

Howdy! Please note the Updated Profile of Brian C. Thomas at the following: http://customcowboybootsandshoesforum.com/discus/m essages/14/1417.html?1119574148

http://customcowboybootsandshoesforum.com/discus/m essages/17/166.html?1119407034

“Riding for the Brand”
Brian C. Thomas
Randy Cooley (Rocky)

Post Number: 31
Posted on Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 7:56 am:   

Brian,
Semper Fi, Congradulations on your retirement from the USAF and opening your own bootshop. It's folks like you that make this site what it is!
"A Fan Of The Brand"
Randy
Jim Kitchens (Kitchens)
Username: Kitchens

Posted on Friday, July 01, 2005 - 9:38 am:   

I used to be in Marfa, but have sense moved to a greener location in Brady. They have two things here that Marfa didn't, trees and green grass.
I opened Kitchens Custom Saddles & Boot Repair when I got moved in and haven't looked back. There had not been anyone to repair boots here in some time so I have been busy to say the least. If anyone is ever in the Brady area come by and see me, the coffee is alway hot, and the ice tea cold.
email: kitchenj@centex.net
web: www.centex.net/~kitchensj
I always have questions and need help, so be prepared. My equipment is a landis "G" stitcher, 400 finisher and a Pro 2000 bull harness stitcher. Other various machines and hand tools strown around and some stacks of leather. Come by and visit.
Jim
Carrlyn Miller (Carrlyn)

Post Number: 402
Posted on Friday, July 01, 2005 - 12:27 pm:   

Hi Jim,

Welcome. I visited your web site, and it's nice. I enjoyed the poem in tribute to your father. If we're ever in Brady we'll stop in and see you. If you're ever in Austin, please come in and see us.
Daniel Gordon (Danielg)

Post Number: 129
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 9:19 am:   

Pelle, Al and Cindy,
Welcome to the forum, you will find it very enjoyable.
Post pictures of your work when you can.

Daniel Gordon

Post Number: 374
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 8:19 am:   

Lisa,

Welcome to our Forum and hopefully you will find it helpful.

BTW, where are you located at? Are you going to the Roundup in Wichita Falls?
Carrlyn Miller (Carrlyn)

Post Number: 445
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 9:52 am:   

Welcome Lisa,

It's nice to see you here. Aren't you a friend of Carl L.'s?
BDSHERA@aol.com (Dale_shera)
Username: Dale_shera

Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 7:36 pm:   

Howdy,

My Name is Dale Shera and I am a Cowboy Boot Collector. Although I was Born and Raised in Texas,(Currently in Dallas)I did'nt start Collecting Boots until about 7 Years ago. I am Currently at a little over a 100 Pairs. My Hobbies are Guns and Motor Sports(Drag Racing, Nascar etc.)and My Harley.
I appreciate the Cowboy Boot as an Art Form. And I am Constantly Amazed by the Boot Makers who Craft Them.
Tex Robin (Tex_robin)

Post Number: 786
Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 9:35 pm:   

Dale,
Glad to have you aboard. I'm sure that you will be an asset to our forum. After meeting you I can say you ar genuine boot lover...TR
Tex Robin (Tex_robin)

Post Number: 787
Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 9:35 pm:   

Dale,
Glad to have you aboard. I'm sure that you will be an asset to our forum. After meeting you I can say you are genuine boot lover...TR
Randy Cooley (Rocky)

Post Number: 55
Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 7:17 am:   

Dale,
Welcome to the forum. You will meet a fine bunch of folks here!
Randy
BDSHERA (Dale_shera)
Username: Dale_shera

Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 6:43 pm:   

Tex and Randy

Thanks for the Warm Welcome.
Randy, I enjoyed talking to you at Gary's House.
I have since Seen some of the Holsters you told me about. Very Nice
Tex, Thanks for the Kind Words. I will do my Best
to be an Asset to the Forum.
Bill Niemczyk (Bill_niemczyk)
Username: Bill_niemczyk

Posted on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 11:16 pm:   

Hello from the northeast, in cowboy boot-barren Connecticut. I am the sole owner of Wild Bill's Custom Boots and Wm. Julian/Design in Granby, CT. My career in leather began with a desire for a leather vest to wear on stage with the rock and roll band I was playing in at the time. That vest eventually led to requests for other music related leather items. I showed some of these projects to the owner of the local leather shop, which led to being hired to do all their custom work, including vests, pants, coats, belts, sandals, etc. In 1980 I opened my own studio at the Farmington Valley Arts Center in Avon, CT. I spent 15 years there , doing custom work and traveling to participate in national juried craft shows across the country selling my line of handbags, briefcases, belts and small leather goods. Connections made at these shows and the arts center eventually led to my work as a freelance pattern/prototype maker for the fashion industry. This began in 1988 and ended about 1996 when all prototyping was taken over by the far east factories. About 1995 I discovered D.W.Frommer's book on making cowboy boots. The book gave me a way to learn at my own pace without having to take a trip out west for a crash course. I talked to every bootmaker and lastmaker that would listen to me, searched for tools, and researched old shoemaking texts.Those of you who know me are aware this tool thing has gotten a bit out of hand. I've been attending the Boot and Saddlemakers Roundup for 8 years now, selling reconditioned antique shoe and bootmaking hand tools, but mostly enjoying visiting with bootmakers and seeing the work up close. I look forward to this forum for improving my skills and for contact with other shoe and bootmakers practicing this ancient trade.

Post Number: 166
Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 2:35 am:   

Bill,
I am glad to see you posting here. That's make us one more who still are heating up the iron the "old" way :-)
Also, I am glad you mentioned how you started walking the leather and bootmaking path. It is always interesting to read about how people started their career.
Janne
Tex Robin (Tex_robin)

Post Number: 803
Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 6:41 am:   

WB,
Welcome aboard. You are a fellow artist who would have eventually found bootmaking or some other form of art. It is in your genes and there is nothing you can do about it. I have seen your artwork on your boot tops and your other projects and there is no mistake about it. I know you will be a great asset to this forum and hope you will get something from it as well as share your talents and knowledge with us...TR
Randy Cooley (Rocky)

Post Number: 57
Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 9:30 am:   

Bill. Welcome to the forum. It was great meeting you at the Round Up. I appreciate you taking the time to help me with my tool selections and "hunting down" the noted bootmakers that signed my Tyler Beard book. You and everyone else I met at the Round Up and on this forum have been an inspireation to me.
Your friend from boot barren Chicago, Illinois
Randy
Bob Canavan (Texboots)
Username: Texboots

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 6:38 pm:   

Howdy everybody! I'm a serious cowboy boot fan from Dallas. I have a couple of dozen pair of custom boots made for me by a number of great bootmakers. I'm an architect by profession and enjoy all sorts of artistic endevors, including working with the bootmakers to collaborate on the design on my boots. Several years ago I fulfilled a dream of mine by traveling to Utah and studying bootmaking under Randy Merrell. One of the best adventures of my life! I haven't pursued building my own boots, but that is still on my agenda. One of these days... In the meantime, I admire the craftsmanship of fine custom boots and find nothing more exciting than trying on my new boots for the first time.
I live in Dallas and work for Nokia, where I head the real estate and facilities division in the Americas, which means that I do a lot of traveling. And have the opportunity to own boots from Finland, England, Canada, Spain, Mexico and Argentina, besides my best loved boots from the old US of A.
I really feel that we are in the absolute renaissance of bootmaking...there have never been so many talented bootmakers crafting so many amazing cowboy boots as we have today and it is an honor for me to own a small sample of their art.
Bob Canavan

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 10:25 pm:   

Tex, Janne, and Randy,
Thanks for the welcome to the forum. Janne, I don't think I'm heating up my irons the old way, as now I use a propane torch.Anyone wondering what kind of irons we're talking about, their not the kind you use to iron your shirt!We're talking about heated hand tools used to set and seal the edges of soles and heels. Slippery business. I've tried bringing them to the roundup ,but no one seems to be to familiar with them. In the 19th century they were an essential part of a makers' kit, replaced now by powered edge finishing wheels. Anyone else ever try to use these often charred relics?

Post Number: 167
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 5:44 am:   

Bill,
I am a non orthodox maker, when out of fuel methylated spirit or propane, I use the cruel method, the heat gun!
Janne
Tex Robin (Tex_robin)

Post Number: 806
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 7:35 am:   

Bill,Janne,
I have scraped soles with glass and have used the old irons heated on a small hot plate....Buuuut,,Landis came out with several models of finishers, and they still make them.....and you know the rest. The irons are laying on top of my finisher, haven't been heated since the late 40s and may never get hot again....TR

Post Number: 168
Posted on Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 12:39 am:   

Bill and Janne

Now there are three of us that use hand irons. Propane works fine for me. Are you joking about the heat gun Janne? If it is true then we all know you are a patient man.

Do you use irons on the bottom of the sole to Bill?

CW
Tex Robin (Tex_robin)

Post Number: 807
Posted on Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 9:32 am:   

Chris, Janne, Bill,

At wal-mart they have what is called a stripper gun. If you don't have a W-mart go to a large hardware store. It will light a cigarette. I know a bootmaker that used his for that. And don't put your finger in front of it! It is a good heat gun but you need to learn how not to burn things up with it. It will beat the propane and is easier to use...TR
Daniel Gordon (Danielg)

Post Number: 183
Posted on Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 6:19 pm:   

Dale and Bob,
Welcome to the forum!
Daniel Gordon
Daniel Gordon (Danielg)

Post Number: 184
Posted on Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 6:29 pm:   

Wild Bill,
Welcome to the forum and glad to have you here. I hope you will post more of your work soon.
Daniel Gordon

Post Number: 168
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 7:18 am:   

Chris, Tex
It is probably a stripper gun I am using. It heat up the iron in no time. One problem though,if you not are careful it is a risk that the shaft start burning!
Janne

Posted on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 2:29 pm:   

CW,
I,m using irons on the forpart sole edge, the edge of the shank, the pegged shank area, and the heel. On the sole section I just use some Lexol, let it dry, slick it with a rub stick (ebony) or a bronze bottom glazer, then apply a thin coat of Meltonian neutral creme wax.
WB
Ben_nobody (Ben_nobody)

Post Number: 278
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 2:56 pm:   

Randy Cooley (Rocky)

Post Number: 68
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 1:09 pm:   

Ben, Thanks for submitting this write up on Cindy.
I first came into contact with Cindy on this forum. I had the plesure of meeting her in person at the last Round-Up in Witicha Falls. She offered to build up my first last and has provided me with the last, vamp stretching boards, technical drawings and notes. Like many of the other bootmakers I've met on this forum or at the Round-Up Cindy has been a great help and insperation to me. There are very few if any custom boot builders in the Chicagoland area. I depend on this forum and the friendships made at Witicha Falls to help me keep my boot making dreams alive.
Randy
Tex Robin (Tex_robin)

Post Number: 891
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 7:27 am:   

Cindy,
We received your profile. Welcome..But where are you? We know who Ben is...TR

Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 10:36 am:   

Hi Tex! Hmmmm, I guess I didn't put where I was in the bio. Ben requested a profile for the Silver Dollar City thing. I knew he would have the other info needed so I didn't think about putting my whereabouts in it. I didn't know he was going to post it here. For all those that would like to know, I am located in south central Oklahoma, just three miles south of a small town named Sterling. I am about 25 miles NE of Lawton OK. Thanks for pointing that out Tex!
Carrlyn Miller (Carrlyn)

Post Number: 603
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 10:48 am:   

Nice write up Cindy, and nice to see you posting here. Isn't Lawton south of OKC?

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 10:54 am:   

Hello Carrlyn -- Lawton is south - actually SW of OKC. I am about a one hour drive SW of OKC. My shop is still in my backyard - right where I like it! Thanks!

Post Number: 421
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 1:58 pm:   

Cindy,

Good to see you made it here. WELCOME! Keep on posting and post some more of your beautiful boots.

Mark
Your Arch-Enemy on Ebay <wink>

Post Number: 413
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 6:33 pm:   

Cindy, welcome it's about time!

"Your Bud Brian"
Robin Baker (Robin_baker)
Username: Robin_baker

Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 12:58 am:   

Hi, I'm new to this group. I've been sewing and quilting for many years. I love fine shoes, but have never had great luck getting shoes to fit properly or to wear well. So I've decided to learn to make my own. Growing up, we didn't have a lot of money, so my shoes and clothes had to last. When I was in junior high school, I used to make repairs to my shoes with dental floss. One of the first things I learned is that the repair will rip out right away if the stitches are too close to the edge. And dental floss isn't great for sewing leather, but it's better than regular sewing thread.

I have a lot of questions that I need answers to before I can really get started.

Are there any books to help me get started?
Where can I get the right kind of last for boots?
Why can't I use a mold of my feet as a starting point for making my own lasts, or can I? I know someone who makes "life molds" using all sorts of state of the art molding materials and can make molds for me, if that would be the way to go.
What kind (type and weight) of leather is used for the sole?
What weights and types of leather are good for tops? Anything that I should avoid?
What kind and weight of leather do you use for a stacked heel?
What would be in a good basic hand tool set?
When and where is the next good bootmaking class?

I live in San Jose, CA and am a pathologist. I'm married and have 3 cats.

Thanks for your help.
Robin Baker
Randy Cooley (Rocky)

Post Number: 75
Posted on Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 12:21 pm:   

Robin,
First off welcome to the forum. You will be served well by taking some time and reading other peoples questions and answers posted on this forum. There are many different opinions as to leather selection, construction techniques ect. ect.
I recomend a book titled How To Make Western Boots by Dennis Cottle and Dave McKinney. You can contact Dave McKinney at 817-429-1112 and inquire about buying the book. Visit the web sites of Tex Robin www.texrobinboots.com and Carl Chappell www.trailtowncustomleather.com
Both of these bootmakes offer 2 week classes in bootmaking. You can also visit globalfootwaresolutions.com (Bill Tittip Sr's website) as a source for (Lasts) You many also consider attending the Boot and Saddle builders Roundup in Wichita Falls Texas in October.
Best wishes in your boot building endeavors
Randy
Randy and Claudia (Randyandclaudia)
Username: Randyandclaudia

Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 3:41 pm:   

Eighteen years ago I was lucky enough to receive a copy of Texas Boots from a friend who knew that I loved vintage cowboy boots. I was absolutely blown away by all of the incredible work in this book (especially the inlay / overlay). After I read the section on Charlie Dunn and saw the photo of his hands on page 124 ...I was hooked. A year later I was blessed to meet my bride Claudia who decided to go on this journey with me. She is definitely the coolest person I know! At the time we owned a store that sold high end boots. We would design custom boots through Nocona and Larry Mahan. The only options for tops were stitch patterns, so we got as creative as we could but felt very limited. It was the decade of exotics and we tried just about every combo you could think of, as long as it had a sharp toe and an underslung heel, in other words, as long as it had “attitude”. I would express interest in the vintage styles of inlay/overlay, but none of the companies were capable of producing anything like that. It was different back then, no internet and the world was bigger. You couldn’t just hop on the web and google.. In order to search one had to, dare I say, pick up the telephone! Back then connecting with someone on the other side of the country might has well been the other side of the world, so my search for finding a bootmaker who I could design with and learn from was short lived. I figured that it would come in time and while I was waiting, I would try to learn the art form. We would create designs with the intention of making jackets and eventually boots to match. We managed the jacket part and in time went on to sell our goods in boutiques all over the world. Although our first love has always been creating our own designs, the majority of our business inevitably became custom work. Under the name “Hellbent for Leather!”, we have created many pieces including a wide array of wearable and non-wearable art and have received quite an education along the way.

Presently, we are producing our work in portraiture. This has been our most exciting work to date. We are working on a series of portraits, figures both historical and contemporary who have contributed to the flavor of our world. We have just completed one of the famous Lakota Chief Sitting Bull which measures 23" x 30" and is compiled from 137 pieces of leather in 19 colors. He seemed to come to life in our workshop.

CHIEF SITTING BULL by Randy and Claudia of "Hellbent for Leather"

PLEASE SEE ADDITIONAL PHOTOS IN THE PHOTO SECTION

In retrospect, we feel lucky that we were not taught by anyone else. Although it meant for a lot more in trial and error, it also meant that we were not limited by anyone else’s expectations, leading to our own unique style and technique. In other words, had we learned to make boots as desired in the beginning, we probably would not be looking at a portrait of Sitting Bull now. The day we do produce our own boots, however, will definitely be a full circle moment. We feel this is inevitable seeing that we cannot stop designing them, so until then we’ll just keep shoving them into the file folder until their debut one day down the yellow brick road..

Our greatest creation happened about 4 months ago when our first child was born, a beautiful little girl named Sagan. She already has her own little spot in our workshop, and of course, our new muse has led us to create our own line of baby stuff officially known as “Heckbent for Leather!”

We are very excited to be on this forum with such talented craftspeople. Looking forward to our future discussions. Thanks for your interest!

Positively,

Randy Lister
Randy and Claudia are “Hellbent for Leather!”
Nashville, TN

Post Number: 477
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 3:50 pm:   

Randy and Claudia,

A big ol'welcome to the Forum and congratulations on the recent addition to the family (and future free-help!)

I think your work will give some people new ideas.

Keep posting!

Post Number: 478
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 3:58 pm:   

Randy and Claudia,

I should have added that everyone here will be glad to help you as you pursue your craft. Perhaps there are those here who would be interested in working with you on a project.
Lisa Sorrell (Sorrell)

Post Number: 145
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 4:11 pm:   

Randy and Claudia,
It's so good to see you on the forum! I love your work!

Lia
Lisa Sorrell (Sorrell)

Post Number: 146
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 4:12 pm:   

Randy and Claudia,
It's so good to see you on the forum...I love your work!

Lisa

Post Number: 157
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 4:33 pm:   

Randy and claudia;
Just fantastic art work with leather. A true craftmanship. Stick around and everyone will post with you.

JP

Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 5:02 pm:   

Hello Mark,

All three of us thank you for the much felt welcome! Ideas are a beautiful thing... New ideas are even cooler. All help to continue the pursuit of our craft is welcomed. Claudia and I love new projects and are certainly interested in new opportunities.

Randy

Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 5:13 pm:   

Lisa,

Thanks for the love...right back at ya.
We're excited to be on the forum...looking forward to speaking with you later in the week.

Randy and Claudia

Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 5:36 pm:   

JP,

When Claudia and I read what you had wrote...we got up and did a little jig... thank you for your kind words.

Randy
Tex Robin (Tex_robin)

Post Number: 952
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 8:37 pm:   

Randy & Claudia,
Welcome to our forum. Hope we can can be of some service to you. Any questions are welcomed. Your work is very interesting....TR
Randy Cooley (Rocky)

Post Number: 86
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 11:47 am:   

Randy & Claudia,
Welcome to our forum, You guys do some real nice leather/artwork. I'm a fledgling boot maker and have found everyone on this forum very helpful. Make sure you read Gary's post to you under "Cunningham Social Hour" Come to Witicha Falls TX in October and meet us in person!

Randy (Now known as "The Other One.")

Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 12:16 pm:   

TR,

Claudia and I both thank you for the welcome. We're certainly excited about meeting you one day. I've wanted to meet you ever since I first read Texas Boots 18 years ago. Thanks for the compliment. Take care
Randy

Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 12:25 pm:   

Hello to the "Other one.",

Thank you very much for your kind words about our work. I'm not sure if we can make it to Texas in October, but we are certainly looking forward to meeting everyone. I see you enjoy motorcycles. I'll post a couple of photos of our first motorcycle seat we ever made in the "Photo section." Hope you enjoy them. Take care
Randy
Tex Robin (Tex_robin)

Post Number: 953
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 12:29 pm:   

Randy & Claudia,

It's been a long journey since "Texas Boots",but that was the beginning of where we we are today. Who knows where it will go in another 25yrs. You can email Eddie & Kathy Kimmel for information about the Round-Up in Wichita Falls. If you are interested they will send you an information packet. kimmels@comanchetx.com ...TR

Posted on Friday, April 21, 2006 - 11:17 am:   

TR,

I'm not sure where it will go in the next 25 years. All I know for sure is that the industry will still be speaking of you in 100 years. Thanks for the info about the Round-up. Hope you have a wonderful day.

Randy
Mike Karnes (Jmkarnes)
Username: Jmkarnes

Posted on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 8:28 am:   

By way of introduction, I am Mike Karnes of Aubrey, Texas. The reason I am imposing myself on this group of folks is because at the age of 53 it has finally dawned on me that I might want to make some kind of provision for my old age after a life spent (or misspent, depending on your point of view) on the ranchs and farms of the Great State and Mexico. Being as how there is no use now of thinking about saving for a leisurely retirement the next best thing is to become skilled in trade I can enjoy up to the last. My wife and I have 5 kids; the oldest boys are married, are making us some grandkids, and still live here on the home place. The third boy will soon be 18 and is pretty much on his own. And our two youngest daughters are 13 and 14 and very dear to me. I have a shop building down by the highway which I have used alternately over the years as a dairy barn, a farm shop, a gun repair shop, and now a boot shop. All these enterprises as 2nd incomes while we were raising a family. For what reason I can't be sure but bootmaking of all these types of hand work seems to suit me the best. I think because it satisfies an "artistic urge" very like rifle stock making. The difference between a nice looking rifle, or boot, or girl from a common looking one is a matter of very small degrees of difference. Since my early days on the ranchs when I was the guy with the harness needles and hand awl that kept the "hands" stuff cobbled together (most big ranchs have one) I have liked this work. One of the older Mexican hands showed me how to make boots but I've never gotten serious about it till now. I doubt if I'll have anything much to add to the discussions except maybe an historical perspective but I've already carried a good bit of knowledge away from it.
Thanks for your indulgence for this epistle and I look forward to meeting some of you this Fall. I've attended the Round Up before but didn't feel inclined to want introduce myself as a "piddler".

Post Number: 486
Posted on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 8:47 am:   

Mike,

A whole-hearted welcome to the Forum.

One of the reasons that the Forum was created was for people like you to learn more about the craft. Please use the Forum as much as you need, and believe it or not, I think that there are contributions that you can make too.

And most definately, introduce yourself if you are at the Roundup this year!
Carrlyn Miller (Carrlyn)

Post Number: 653
Posted on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 3:18 pm:   

Randy and Claudia,
It's nice to see you here. You will enjoy visiting this site. You won't find a nicer bunch of people.

Carrlyn & Lee
Carrlyn Miller (Carrlyn)

Post Number: 654
Posted on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 3:20 pm:   

Welcome Mark,

Where is Aubrey? It's nice to meet you. You'll find this site very informative. If you have any pictures of your work, we would love to see it. We hope to see you here often!
Randy Cooley (Rocky)

Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 1:19 pm:   

Mark,
Welcome to the forum. A lot of what you said in your profile actually kind of "mirrors" my life. I've had the luxory of working in several different and diverse fields of employment both full and part-time. Now at 50 something, I look back and think, It's been one heck of a ride but I sure didn't plan real well for retirement. I too sought a trade that I could both work (out of necessity)until I die and one that satisfies my "artistic" desires. I found the trade in leather working and hopefully will continue while I learn bootmaking.
Best wishes and hopefully, we will meet in person in Wichita Falls. Theres really a nice bunch of people on this forum and all have been a help and insperation to me as I explore bootmaking.
Randy
Randy Cooley (Rocky)

Post Number: 88
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 1:28 pm:   

Mike,
Sorry for calling you Mark
By the way, Mark's a good guy too!
Randy
Mike "Rowdy" Oakes (Rowdyoakes)
Username: Rowdyoakes

Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 11:50 am:   

Hi, Ya’ll. My friends call me Rowdy, my family calls me Mike, and my mother calls me Michael (I hate that). I came to Frisco, Texas via Bentonville, Arkansas and Nashville, Tennessee. As they say, I wasn’t born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I could!

I’ve done a lot of different kinds of work in my life, including farm work, construction, customer service, and sales. I returned to college at the University of Arkansas when I was 30 years old and spent 4 years there working on a degree in Speech Pathology. I walked in the graduation ceremony in 2003 with one class left to complete, which is not uncommon. Here it is 2006, and I have still not completed that class for my degree, because I don’t know what I’d do with it if I had it. I’ve never liked working for other people and living by the clock. I became interested in bootmaking during my search for creative, artistic, independent career choices. I was interested in making cowboy hats, but even in Texas people don’t wear hats much, anymore. I thought I had considered everything, and then I discovered that there were still people making custom boots by hand, and it was like an epiphany. I thought, This must be what I was meant to do! Of course, that has yet to be tested, since I haven’t ever made a pair of boots or sewn a single piece of leather. My wonderful wife, who knows me better than anyone, believes that I was born to be a bootmaker. I’ll try my best not to prove her wrong.

I’ve been reading the posts on this forum for a few months, now. I’m amazed at what a nice group of people I’ve found here. I’ve communicated via email with Lisa Sorrell in Guthrie, Oklahoma, and Julia Parmenter ( I hope I got that last name right) at Texas Traditions Handmade Boots in Austin. They were both very nice and helpful to me in getting an idea of what I was getting myself into. I’ve also purchased Dennis Cottle and Dave McKinney’s book on bootmaking. I’ve spoken with Dave several times. What a great guy. I’ve also been in touch with Mark Fletcher, and found out that we’re practically neighbors. Thanks, Mark, for this forum and for your help. I look forward to meeting you.

I hope to attend one of the bootmaking seminars as soon as I can afford it. (I’m sure Okmulgee would be a good option, too, but it’s not feasible at all.) In the meantime, I guess I’ll just have to learn what I can from this forum, from the book, and through trial and error.
Tex Robin (Tex_robin)

Post Number: 969
Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 12:54 pm:   

Rowdy,
My advice to you would be to go finish the degree and make the big bucks..The speech therapy stuff is a good racket. But if you are bent on and insisting on making boots for a living, and being a broke self employed bootmaker woe unto you...But welcome anyway and we will see more of you, we hope..If I can help you in any way let me know....TR
Carrlyn Miller (Carrlyn)

Post Number: 677
Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 1:50 pm:   

Hi Mike,
Nice to see you here. If you're ever in Austin, please stop in and introduce yourself.

Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 4:21 pm:   

Hi Tex. Thanks for the welcome. Surely the money isn't that bad, is it? At any rate, in order to be a practicing speech therapist, I would have to get a Master's degree. My wife is a practicing therapist, and the money is good, but I have no interest in that sort of work. I guess it's the lifestyle that matters most to me. Of course, it would be nice to make a little money, too. There's very little information available on bootmaking income expectations, so I really only have your word and that of the other bootmakers here to go on. What you've said is not very encouraging. Any idea what percentage of your students actually go into bootmaking full-time?

Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 4:24 pm:   

Hi, Carrlyn! Thanks so much for the welcome, and I sure will stop by next time I'm in Austin. I hope it's real soon. Tell Julia Howdy from Rowdy for me. :-)
Tex Robin (Tex_robin)

Post Number: 970
Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 8:15 am:   

Rowdy,
What I said was mostly in jest but partly serious also. If you are determined then you will probably give it a try and I hope you are successful. The money is not too bad but the work is hard!...TR
Tex Robin (Tex_robin)

Post Number: 971
Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 8:30 am:   

Rowdy,

Send me an email at trboots@sbcglobal.net
Tex

Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 9:22 am:   

Thanks, Tex. I've done some ridiculously hard work in my life. The work I always find the hardest, though, is sitting at a desk watching the clock. I'll email.
Randy Cooley (Rocky)

Post Number: 92
Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 5:48 pm:   

Rowdy,
Welcome to the forum. You should consider a trip to Wichita Falls this October for the round-up. You will meet quite a few of the bootmakers posting on this forum as well as yours truly who still has not made a pair of boots yet. But, hope springs eternal in my life.
Randy

Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 8:58 pm:   

Randy,
Thanks for the welcome! I fully plan on being in Wichita Falls in October. I hope to see you there. I would also love to go to Silver Dollar City this fall. I'll be in Branson in August, a few months too early!
Rowdy
Mark C. Candela (Mark_candela)
Username: Mark_candela

Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 9:52 am:   

Hello All,

I thought I would gather up the courage to finally post an introduction. I would like to thank Rowdy for the encouragement.

I have read the postings on this forum for quite some time now and I really appreciate the talent and artistry that you all exhibit. I am envious.

I have also had the opportunity to speak with several of you and I have received nothing but kind words, great advice and encouragement. For that I thank you.

I am a CPA by trade and I believe that I will have to keep that job for a while yet, but I have had a passion for Cowboy boots all my life. I have never made or repaired a pair of boots or shoes in my life, but as I sit at my computer all day long I find myself drifting over to the forum to admire and learn.

I have a couple of instructional books, and along with the information here and on "The Other Forum" I have managed to take all of my measurements, cut my patterns and order my lasts and leather. The sewing still scares me because I have never sewn either. When I see all of the beautiful stitch work and inlays I get quite intimidated.

Again thank you all for your truly altruistic contributions and passion for this art. I will be in Wichita Falls this October and I hope to have the opportunity to meet and talk boots with many of you.

Mark
Tex Robin (Tex_robin)

Post Number: 972
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 12:08 pm:   

Mark,

Welcome to the forum. Partisipation is what it is all about. If you have any questions maybe someone can answer them. So don't be afraid to ask....TR

Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 12:32 pm:   

Thanks Tex,

I'll do my best to give you guys lots to discuss.

Mark
Carrlyn Miller (Carrlyn)

Post Number: 679
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 3:00 pm:   

Hi Mark,
Welcome to the Forum. This is a great place. Where are you located?

Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 5:49 pm:   

Hi Carrlyn,

Thanks for the welcome. I am in Houston, Texas. If you know of anyone down this way that would like to share some experience with a beginner let me know. I'll even travel a little ways if my truck will make it. Its getting old and cranky like me.

Again, Thanks for the warm welcome.

Post Number: 470
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 6:48 pm:   

Mike, Mark, Rowdy, Randy and Claudia:-)

"Welcome for the Brand"
Brian C. Thomas

Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 5:37 pm:   

Hi Mark. I don't guess I've been here long enough to welcome anyone else, but I will anyway. So, WELCOME! And thanks for the kind words. It's nice to know I'm not the only newbie around here. See ya on the board, and in Wichita Falls.
Rowdy

Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 5:41 pm:   

Brian,
Thanks for the welcome! I've admired your boots and your wit for some time, now. And if I may borrow from you just once:

"Thankful for the Brand"
Rowdy Oakes

Post Number: 471
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 8:27 pm:   

Mike the "Brand" is open to everyone for use :-)

Mark and I have considered a book deal "for the Brand"

"Instruction for the Brand"
Brian C. Thomas
Gary Moore (G_l_moore)
Username: G_l_moore

Posted on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 10:38 am:   

Howdy,
ive been a long time lurker here, but figure it's about time to get this part of it over with, so here goes.
My name is Gary, and some of you already know me from the roundup or thru Carl, but i swear that i know all of you(or feel as though i do) fairly intimately just from reading the forum here. To those of you that dont, or might not remember me, i was the largish guy that brought the steaks to the cunningham social suaree on thurs. night.
Yup, the biggun w/ the long hair...ex hippy, ex biker, ex nightclub operator, ex adventurer turned computer geek that broke my leg in 2 places and my ankle in 3 more while hiking at Turner Falls in oklahoma.
During a long, painfull, and boring (let me stress the boring part) rehab, i picked up Bruce Grants "Leather Braiding" book and amused myself for awhile doing first the 3, and then, the 5 strand inside trick braids on hatbands, belts, bracelets, purse handles, dog collars(i said i was bored, didnt i ?),and any thing else i could find. Looking up from my braiding frenzy one day, i spotted an old pair of my favorite noconas in the corner, and wondered how the leg/ankle break would affect the fit and if i was gonna have to buy a new pair...then i looked down at the 5 strand inside trick braid hatband in my hand....then back at the boots...(yall can see where this is going huh ?), yup...it was an epiphany.
Once i was allowed to get out of being bed-ridden, i Hobbled over to the computer, and started to do some research and as soon as i was able to, i stumbled my way into Dave Mckinney's shop there in the mid cities area of the DFW megadodoplex(i can say that, im from here), and sat down with his, and Dennis Cottles book, figuring that id be making my own boots in no time flat.
It seemed a simple enough plan,and after reading the book a time or two,i even picked up a crimping board and a pair of lasts.and there i sat. somehow, it just wasnt coming to me.
So, i ended up in St. Jo, Texas (luckily only an hr or so away), at Carl Chappells, where i took his 2 week seminar, and bought a buncha tools and equipment.
This was about 2 yrs ago now, and tho ive started a pair or several, i have yet to finish any but 1 or 2 pair or two for my own pleasure.
That brings us up to today. My wife has retired from XEROX due to ongoing medical stuff, So we have bought a house and moved down here to Athens Texas where my family is from.
I have been lucky enought to make the aquaintance of Jimmy Pope here in Athens, and have been talking with him about doing an apprenticship(?) thingy so that i can learn about the repair side of the boot business as well as polishing up my bootmaking skills. Jimmy is planning on retiring in a couple of years, and has agreed to let me take over his building and equip.
Thats all i can think of for now...hope to see all of you in oct.

Randy Cooley (Rocky)

Post Number: 94
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 11:25 am:   

Gary,
Glad to see you posing on the forum. We met last year at Gary's. BTW great steaks!I'm also a "bigun",with a shaved head, ex hippy, ex night club bouncer, scooter ridin, would be boot maker. My Cottle-McKinney book is tattered and torn. I will be attending Carl's seminar in a couple of week and hopefully have at least one pair of boots by the time the Round-Up rolls around. Keep the faith and build some boots. See ya in October.
Randy
clbonbon1995@yahoo.com (Clboots)
Username: Clboots

Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 8:49 pm:   

HELLO ALL ! MY NAME IS C.L. WALLIS . I'M 35 YEARS OLD MARRIED WITH TWO GIRLS . I LIVE SAN ANGELO , TEXAS . IV'E BEEN IN THE BUISINESS FOR THE LAST SEVENTEEN YEARS . I WORKED FOR M.L. LEDDY'S FOR NINE YEARS THEN ONTO MERCERS FOR TWO . IV'E BEEN ON MY OWN FOR THE LAST SIX YEARS . I WAS FORTUNATE TO GET TO LEARN UNDER SOME OF THE OLD TIME LEDDY HANDS . ROBERT CASTLEBERRY WAS A BIG INFLUENCE ON ME . THE FORUM HAS A BEEN WELCOME SURPRISE WITH IT'S KINDNESS AND RESPECT TO THE CRAFTSMEN . LOOKING FORWARD TO POSTING MORE SOON . THANKS C. L. WAALIS
Tex Robin (Tex_robin)

Post Number: 981
Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 9:39 pm:   

CL,
Welcome to the forum. Feel free to post any time you want and do post some of your boots. We would all like to see them. And once again welcome....TR
Carrlyn Miller (Carrlyn)

Post Number: 686
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 9:05 am:   

Hello CL and welcome to the Forum. We look forward to seeing your work. We have someone from San Angelo that works here part time. His name is Ben Alvarado, and he worked for Mercer also, and then for Rusty Franklin.

Post Number: 494
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 11:19 am:   

Hello CL,

I have been waiting for you to post, Welcome to the Forum! You and everyone interested in the trade are welcomed to use this forum for exchanging ideas and showing off you work. Pass the information to all bootmakers in the San Angelo area, if you can. We don't hear enough from that area. That area has an interesting boot history that I enjoy reading about.

Probably everyone has seen a picture of CL, he is the smiling cowboy waiting for a boot shine at M L Leddy's in San Angelo, pictured in Tyler Beard's first book.

Again, welcome.

Mark
Lisa Sorrell (Sorrell)

Post Number: 148
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 11:46 am:   

CL,
I remember visiting with you a few years ago at Brownwood. It's good to see you on the forum!

Lisa

Post Number: 495
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 12:18 pm:   

I forgot to add that in the photograph, CL is wearing the first pair of boots that he made.

Post Number: 476
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 4:52 pm:   

C. L. Howdy again and welcome, I remember you at Mercer's in 99 and at the round ups too. I retired from the A F and opened a shop in Abilene, stop by some time.

"Welcome for the Brand"
"Brian Thomas Boots"
Larry Peterson (Larry_peterson)
Username: Larry_peterson

Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 9:22 pm:   

I sure hope I am putting this in the correct place. I am a new bootmaker. I completed the R.I. Merrill Boot making school last month and am making my third pair of boots. I have fought monsters like "Singer" and "Union Special" and have came to the conclusion that it is an absolute must to become a sewing machine mechanic if you are going to be a boot maker. I am an old fat man and I hope this posting doesn't confirm that I am a complete fool. I am pretty openminded. I must admitt that I like the "Roper style" for those of us too old and frail to balance on the higher heel. My wife tolerates me, my kids are launched and I love making boots.

When I give an opinion, please use the the Latin Rule "to be taken with MAGNUS GRAINUS SALTUS." I have spent my previous 62 years working in Mines, Machine Shops, Prisons, and Hospitals. I now target 3 hour every day for work. I think that is plenty. Some times I sit and think and at other times I just sit. I am really looking forward to getting acquainted with you other boot makers and hope to have something worthwhile to share with you. I will skip the news, weather and sports and just say thanx for allowing me to be here. Larry Peterson

Post Number: 584
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 8:22 am:   

Larry,

Welcome aboard!

Mark
Carrlyn Miller (Carrlyn)

Post Number: 766
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 5:33 pm:   

Hi Larry,

Nice to see you here. You'll find this a great place.
Brad Harvey (Brad_harvey)
Username: Brad_harvey

Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 8:12 pm:   

Greetings to all. My name is Brad Harvey. I live in Ohio, am married to Tam my wife of 22 years, Have 2 daughters and 2 sons (mostly grown) and have been away from the bootmaking world for longer than I care to think about.

I was stationed at Bergstrom AFB near Austin in the late 70s. One day I happened upon an article in the paper about Charley Dunn`s new boot shop (I`d heard the song about him) and I was instantly facinated. My enlistment was about up and I was trying to make up my mind what to do with my life after the USAF. I always liked doing close, detailed work and this sounded like just the thing. I gave Mr. Dunn a call (actually it was Lee I spoke to….HI Lee!) but they didn`t seem very interested in taking on an inexperienced person as an apprentice. I stopped in to see the shop and I was hooked! Within a few days I had been measured for my first pair of custom boots and I spent the rest of my time in Austin hangin out at TT, being a general nuisance and soaking bootmaking in through my pores. If they ever got tired of me underfoot, either they didn`t show it or I was oblivious to it.

I went to OSU-Okmulgee in 81 to study bootmaking under Earl, Woody and Delvin. When I was about halfway through at OST (as we called it then) I showed Charley some of my work and he told me I had a job waiting after graduation. Unfortunately there were already 6 people working in that little shop so I passed on the offer (STUPID) and instead went to work with a bootmaker named Dale Ivy in Dallas. During my short time there I also got to know Henry Leopold slightly and picked up a thing or two from him.

I had every intention of spending several years working for established bootmakers and really learning the trade… especially fitting. This wasn`t to be.

I moved back to Ohio (reluctantly) due to family obligations, opened a shop offering boot/shoe repair and custom boots, started a family and then lost my shop to a fire in 1986. At the time I had one in diapers and twins on the way so I caved to economic necessity and went to work in the auto industry. What was left after the fire was put in storage or sold and (with much regret) I walked away from boot making.

A couple of times in the early 90s I tried to start something up but it fell through both times. Now, after 20 years, I find myself approaching retirement and the urge to make boots is there... stronger than ever. I still have the same recurring dream with some regularity. I`m back in the shop cutting and sewing and stretching and hammering and cussing one or more of the machines. I can even smell it….an aroma that ranks with Bar B Q and Texas wildflowers.

Your wonderful forum has given me hope that it`s still possible to pick up where I left off. I look forward to getting to know many of you in the years to come.

Brad

Post Number: 189
Posted on Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 7:14 am:   

Brad:
Welcome aboard....keep the sprit going and don't give up this time

JP

Post Number: 560
Posted on Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 5:30 pm:   

Howdy Larry and Brad!

"Welcome for th Brand"
Brian C. Thomas

Post Number: 245
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 3:59 am:   

Welcome to the group Brad and Larry

The more the better. Motivation is all it takes. I have been collecting things for my own shop for the last 5 yrs. I finally have my temperary shop in part of a carpeneters workshop and hope to have a company name and reg. nr. if the tax office can get it to me. I even hope to make some shoes and boots when there is time.

I’m glad to see you will not give up on your dream Brad. I can still smell the Texas air, BBQ, and wild flowers and cow manure. The Danes think I’m sick.

Don't give up and keep us up to date with your progress.

CW

Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 10:05 pm:   

Thanks Joe!

I was admiring your work in the photo section yesterday. Not only are your boots gorgeous but you live in one of my favorite parts of the country. Spent some quality time in the Ozarks while I was living in Oklahoma.

Brad

Brian,

Appreciate the welcome. You and I met on Jennifer J`s message board the other day. I`ve got a couple more stories about HL and Dutch but they don`t belong in a public forum:-)
I`ve been admiring your boots as well. I`d really be flattering myself if I said I ever came close to achieving your quality in design or construction, but I do see some similarity in style. Do you leave all your heels straight on the lateral side? After I nearly broke an ankle, I started doing all mine that way.

Fighting ankle sprains for the Brand
Brad

Chris,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I`m aiming to have a reasonably complete shop within 5 years. Right now I`m equally motivated and poverty stricken(daughter in college). Presently I`m taking inventory to see just what I have left. I`d kill to have my old 110w back so I could at least brush up on my stitching in the mean time.
You`ve got some terrific photos posted as well. Beautiful work. Especially enjoyed the shoes under construction. I`ve made sandals but not shoes. Want to take a crack at it some day though.
Ohio has plenty of cow manure… it`s just not of the same quality as Texas BS. And most of the poor lost souls up here have never experienced real honest-to-goodness BBQ.
And you tell the Danes I said THEY DON`T KNOW WHAT THEY`RE MISSING!!! :-)

Brad
Tex Robin (Tex_robin)

Post Number: 1058
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 10:17 pm:   

Brad,
Anyone in the bootmaking trade is welcome here. Welcome and be sure and post some of your work when you can...TR
Randy Cooley (Rocky)

Post Number: 132
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 8:15 am:   

Larry and Brad,

Welcome to the forum, You'll meet a bunch of nice, helpful people here!

Randy
Carrlyn Miller (Carrlyn)

Post Number: 772
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 5:02 pm:   

Welcome Brad,

Do you still have your Charlie Dunn's? Lee and I looked up your name, and found your order :-)

Lee & Carrlyn

Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 8:01 pm:   

Thanks Tex!
I remember your name from when I was still in Texas. I have family just outside of Abilene so hope to meet you and Brian one of these days.
I`ll post some pictures if I can find any decent ones. Most of that stuff burned up with my shop.

Brad

Randy,
Thank you. You`re just half a day up the road from me. Have you tackled your first pair of boots yet? If not, you`re in for a lot of fun. Don`t wait too long if you can help it.

Brad

Lee & Carrlyn,
Book 3 – 189, right? I`m sorry to say that my Charley Dunns were lost in the shop fire. However, I would be just as proud to own a pair by Charley`s very worthy protégé (when I once again have some disposable income). Wherever Charley is now, and I hope he`s rubbing elbows with St. Crispin, I know he`s well pleased.

I have many good memories of the time I spent at Texas Traditions. In spite of the fact that I never got to touch ANYTHING, I learned more there than at all the other places I`ve been put together. Apprenticeship by osmosis:-)

Thank you,

Brad
Daniel Gordon (Danielg)

Post Number: 290
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 10:01 pm:   

Hello,
My name is Sarah and I am Daniel Gordon's daughter. I thought I would introduce myself to the forum. I am 15 years old and I am learning how to make boots from my dad. With schoolwork and riding horses I don't get a lot of spare time, but when I do, I like to help my dad in the boot shop. I hope to keep making boots and become better and maybe in the future, go into bootmaking full time with my dad.

Sarah. Sarah
Tex Robin (Tex_robin)

Post Number: 1066
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 10:32 pm:   

Sarah,
Looks like you have a good start...Welcome to our forum and keep up the good work..Nothing wrong with riding horses either...TR
Daniel Gordon (Danielg)

Post Number: 292
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 9:32 pm:   

Tex,
I appreciate you welcoming me to the forum. Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Sarah.

Post Number: 564
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 9:53 pm:   

Sarah, Wecome for the Brand! Your work is very good.

"Happy bootmaking for the Brand"
Brian C. Thomas
Mike Keller (Mike_kellar)
Username: Mike_kellar

Posted on Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 6:23 pm:   

My name is Mike Kellar, and I am a neophyte , wannabe bootmaker. I have had no formal training as of yet, but hope to sometime in the future. I did have an oportunity to do a bit of work with a bootmaker out in Idaho last year, but not enough. Did learn a few things though. I have also been reading every post on this website and I feel I already know everyone here. I live in West Virginia, but have lived all over the country and a couple of foreign countries. Like Mr. Brian Thomas I spent a few years in the Air Force. Did not retire though. My father was a career man which is why I got the privilege of living all over the country.
Thanks for allowing me to visit with you all.
Mike

Post Number: 594
Posted on Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 6:30 pm:   

Mike,

Welcome to the Forum and I hope you find it useful. What part of West Virginia are you in? I was born in Princeton, which is at the end of the WVa Turnpike.

Mark
Daniel Gordon (Danielg)

Post Number: 294
Posted on Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 11:59 pm:   

Brian,
Thank you for welcoming me to the forum.
Sarah.
Mike Keller (Mike_kellar)
Username: Mike_kellar

Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 5:04 am:   

Mark,
I live in Harrisville, about 30 miles east of Parkersburg on Rt. 50.
Mike
Lisa Sorrell (Sorrell)

Post Number: 193
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 9:18 am:   

Mike,
Welcome to the forum!

I lived in WV for six years--in Pocahontas County, all the way on the eastern side of the state. I love OK, but I miss trees and hills and curvy roads somtimes.

Lisa
Carrlyn Miller (Carrlyn)

Post Number: 784
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 10:34 am:   

Hi Mike,

Nice to see you here on the forum. You'll really enjoy the people here.
Carrlyn Miller (Carrlyn)

Post Number: 785
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 10:36 am:   

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for posting a little about yourself. You do have a full schedule. Keep up the good work.
Carlos (Corlas)
Username: Corlas

Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 1:32 pm:   

Hello, I'm a Spanish shoemaker, and I want to say "hola" in this forum. Normaly, I handmake orthopedic shoes and boots, but sometimes, I realize the ideas from other people.
I hope we can change impresions about our work.
I show you this idea from http://www.irismorata.com/
Now, she is begining her firm.

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/136/dscn4277yz5 .th.jpg
http://img244.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscn4279f w0.jpg

Well, I've tried to up directly, but I'm not able. (Was too much giant image)
I have more photos, is better I try to up in photos forum isn't it?

Please, if you want say me whatever, be benevolent, and write me easily for my understanding. Thanks.
Greettings from Barcelona.

Post Number: 595
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 2:15 pm:   

Mr. Corlas,

Welcome! It is nice to know our Forum reaches other places outside the USA.

Mark
James Ross (James_ross)
Username: James_ross

Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 7:47 pm:   

Hello, My name is James Ross. I am 21 years old,I grew up in South and Central Texas and claim Brady as my home town but I now live in Clarendon. I have an associates degree in Ranch and Feedlot operation and I am workig towards an Animal Science degree. In my time out of school I cowboy and do leather work. I have been doin leatherwork my whole life but have just gotten serious the last 5 years. I build lots of custom leggins and i have built a saddle and been in on building several. I have recently discovered a passion I didnt know I had boots! I started in July 2006 so I am still pretty wet behide the ears. But I have been really blessed with a wonderful teacher and boot maker to help me out, Punch Skelton, who has been in business since the 60's and worked for one of the best (in my opinion) James Owens. I have worked under Punch for the last 5 monthes and am now looking to find handtools and equipment to kinda get started. I hope to someday be the quality of boot maker such as Punch Skelton, James Owens and Jim Owens.

(Message edited by admin on December 11, 2006)

Post Number: 600
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 8:02 pm:   

James,

A big welcome to the Forum and it looks as if you are on a great start.
Randy Cooley (Rocky)

Post Number: 134
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 8:44 am:   

James,
Welcome to the forum. I'm a police officer who does as much leatherwork and boot building as time allows. With the help and encouragment of other members of this forum, one day I will be able to consider myself a bootmaker.

Best Wishes
Randy

Post Number: 568
Posted on Saturday, December 23, 2006 - 12:15 pm:   

James, Howdy and welcome!

Keep on building boots the pair you already posted look very good.

"Welcome for the Brand"
Brian C. Thomas

Post Number: 569
Posted on Saturday, December 23, 2006 - 12:23 pm:   

Looks like I missed a couple of welcomes

Carlos and Mike Howdy and Welcome!

"Welcome for the Brand"
Brian C. Thomas
Carlos (Corlas)

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, December 23, 2006 - 1:11 pm:   

Thanks Brian. ;)

James, I see you like a western film. I will not across the river! :-)

Health to everyone!

Terri Courtney (Telong2001)
Username: Telong2001

Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 11:15 pm:   

I've enjoyed reading this forum for the last few months as I tackled my first pair of boots. I look forward to the assitance postsers freely give.

I live in Napa, CA transplanted from Texas. My love of boots goes back as long as I can remember. I have always sewn leather and fur and upholstered alot so when I seriously looked at buying a pair of custom boots the price tag and a long conversation with a bootmaker made me vow to learn the craft. Though I work in the corporate world during the business day I get home and go right to the shop. Working on boots is instant therapy. I look forward to many more pair!

Wait..it would be rude to fail to pay homage to my instructor Mr. Jack Rowin. He's a patient man and a great instructor.

Cheers from Napa Valley!

Post Number: 608
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 9:28 am:   

Terri,

Welcome aboard!

What part of Texas were you from?

Hopefully you find our Forum useful.
Randy Cooley (Rocky)

Post Number: 137
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 9:00 am:   

Terri,
Welcome to the board. You will find alot of nice folks here.

Randy
Carrlyn Miller (Carrlyn)

Post Number: 812
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 9:16 am:   

Hi Terri,

It's really nice to see you. It must be quite a change going from Texas to Napa Valley. What part of Texas are you from?
Terri Courtney (Telong2001)
Username: Telong2001

Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 4:43 pm:   

Mark & Carrlyn
I lived on a ranch near Waco in Bosque County and worked in Las Colinas. It has been a change, especially in the culture. It's hard to miss the sweltering heat and fire ants. But I miss everything else.
Terri
Kelly Martin (Kelly)
Username: Kelly

Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 7:13 am:   

Hello! My name is Kelly Martin. I grew up in a shoe repair and saddle shop and on ranches pretty much all over the west. My mom and dad(George and Sharron Martin)worked side by side for over 30 years, I worked in the shop after school when I was a kid and did'nt realise how much I'd learned til I grew up. We built everything saddles, chaps, headstalls, etc. If it was made out of leather we made it. We were living in Wickenburg, Az. when dad decided to go to bootmaking school in 1982. He went to Randall Merril's school in Utah and I got alot more interested in the shop. Dad taught me everything I know about bootmaking, and I've learned a few things since then. We catered to the working cowboy and buckaroos. I've been on my own for about 10 years now and I love my job, still catering to the working cowboy mostley. It' nice to have a place to ask questions and learn new things from other artists, I remember a time when this information was top secret. I ended up in Nevada when my husband took a job here(one of us has to have a real job to support my bootmaking habit),his name is Josh by the way. I have 2 kids Tasha, my daughter is 19 and going to college to be a school teatcher(majoring in special ed. at which she should be great she has has lots of practice with special people.Ha!Ha!) My son Monte is 17 and a senior in high school. He is my bronc rider, last july he was 2nd at the world championship old west bronc ridin in Elko, says he's takin' us to Vegas some day, I hope so. Well I tend to be longwinded as people in our craft are so I'll end this with thanks for havin' me and thanks to Tim Bishop for letting me know about the forum. I hope to get to know more of you guys, some of us have met, but don't hold that against me.

Post Number: 613
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 8:39 am:   

Kelly,

Welcome, I am glad that Tim helped you to find us. It is good to see that you are keeping the family tradition. Post pictures of your work when you can, and let me know if I can help. Please feel free to ask or answer any questions.

Mark
Carrlyn Miller (Carrlyn)

Post Number: 814
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   

Hi Kelly,

Welcome to this forum. What an interesting story about your life in bootmaking. Is your dad still making boots?

Post pictures of your work when you can. People here are pretty friendly.
Kelly Martin (Kelly)
Username: Kelly

Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 6:14 pm:   

Thanks for the welcome. Yes my dad still makes a few things, he also is a ranch manager, so we get to test drive these boots for durability. I guess growing up on ranches made me think a lot about the function of boots, and then being a girl I wanted pretty ones! Thanks again I like frendly people! Kelly

Post Number: 581
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   

Terry, Kelly Welcome to the forum!

Hope to meet you both the next Boot and Saddle Makers Round Up in Oct 2007.

"Howdy for the Brand"
Brian C. Thomas
Pernille Hansen (P_hansen)
Username: P_hansen

Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 5:31 pm:   

My name is Pernille Hansen and I m a shoemaker in Denmark. I ve always been fond of shoes and boots, all kind off footwear. I m married to Jakob Tønsberg, also shoemaker and owner of a shop est. 1845 in Copenhagen. Mainly we makes ortopaedic shoes, but western boots are a new aspect of shoemaking we find facinating. I love all the pictures in this forum. Pernille

Post Number: 627
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 7:07 pm:   

Pernille,

Welcome! It is always good to have makers from overseas. Please post picures of your work when you can and let me know if I can be of help. You never know, perhaps western boots will catch on in Denmark.

Mark

Post Number: 247
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 2:52 am:   

Pernille

It's good to see that you are posting in the forum.

Ya'll should know that Jakob is my orth. shoe master. They make some really nice shoes and boots. Jakob has made some snake skind boots for himself thay are real nice.

The family is coming over for Tais birthday (5 yrs) so I'll keep this short.

Vi ses snart
CW
Carlos (Corlas)

Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 3:44 am:   

Hola Pernille, welcome, I'm a orthopedic shoemaker too, I'm glad to see "colegas" in this forum.
Whishing to read more about you.

Health!
Pernille Hansen (P_hansen)
Username: P_hansen

Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 8:43 am:   

Thank you for the welcome. I m not too good in your language, but I try my best. To Carlos, could you explain "colegas"? My day at work is drawing, cutting and sewing uppers, and it is many year since i ve done sole and heel. To Ldcresson: Thank you for you offer, but we have last and make last our self, so no problems. A couple years ago some swedish shomakers made a trip to Denmark, visiting danish shoemakers. Carina Eneroth was among them, and I remember her as a devotet shoemaker. To Criss: Hey, and congratulations with Tais, how are you doing? Hope to see you soon in Bredgade 28. Nice to be in the forum, Pernille
Tex Robin (Tex_robin)

Post Number: 1090
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 9:12 am:   

Pernille,
Välkommen. Dansk Jag skriver inte så bra men svenska är nära jag hoppas. You think it is hard to speak or write english...I have the same with swedish. I have also met Carina in her shop in Stockholm and she is a very talented lady. She was at my seminar there in 03...Hope you get a lot of info from our forum. There are not too many shoemakers but maybe Janne Melkersson and Lee Miller...Vi ses igen...TR
Carlos (Corlas)

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 9:16 am:   

Hola Pernille, "colegas" means that we work in the same. It have more minds, like friends, but the really mean is the persons who works in the same profesional job. I wish you understand me.

Like you can see, I've problems too with American and English language, but I think we (all) understand. (I hope)

Health!
Lee Miller (Lee_miller)

Post Number: 174
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 11:46 am:   

Hello Pernille and welcome to this forum. We hope that you will post pictures of your work. We would love to see them. Maybe one of these days you'll take a trip to Texas. We have some excellent BBQ here ;)

Lee and Carrlyn
Tex Robin (Tex_robin)

Post Number: 1091
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 5:37 pm:   

Carlos,
I figured it meant colleage, but I must get a good Spanish dictionary. I have them for almost every other language. They come in handy on the internet..You would think that all Texans would speak Spanish and understand it...Well I do understand some pretty well but have never been able to absorb it like I do the swedish. Keep posting and you are doing fine with your english. Su ingles esta bueno...So Buenos Nachos!....TR

Post Number: 586
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 5:43 pm:   

Pernille, Welcome for the Brand!

Brian C. Thomas
Carlos (Corlas)

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   

LD Cresson, and Tex, thanks.
This is the "not handycap" of speak differents languages.

When you says "su inglés está bueno", is not correct, but I understand totally. Will be "su inglés es bueno" but in the two forms are a lie
:-) because I know my english isn't good. And I don't forget this is a north american forum. Is for me more easy to explain my self than understand your posts, because I have short vocabulary, and I can say something with few words, but is more difficult to understand a normal english.
I've post my last work in "photos", I hope you like them.

Buenas noches a todos!
Good night to everyone!

And, health!
Josie Sifft (Josie)
Username: Josie

Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 10:38 am:   

Hello- My Name is Josie Sifft. I grew up in Ohio. I taught in university systems in Wyoming, Oregon, California, and Colorado for 21 years. For the last 17 years I have run a retreat center in SW Colorado. I enjoy working with my hands- quilting, woodworking, leatherwork, massage. Last year I bought 2 old Singer machines- 31-15 and a 29-4 and restored them for use in quilting and leatherwork. I love to learn. For the last couple of months I have been reading as much as I can find about bootmaking, including this forum. Thanks for all the good information! I am working on building up my first pair of lasts and am in the process of accumulating the necessary tools and supplies to start my first pair of boots. Thanks again for your willingness to share your knowledge... Josie

Post Number: 632
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 1:07 pm:   

Josie,

Welcome! Thanks for the info on you. What part of Ohio did you grow up? I lived in Canton for 15 years.

I hope that this forum continues to increase your knowledge in leather work. Keep asking and everyone will do their best to help.

You may want to consider coming to Wichita Falls for the Boots and Saddle Makers Trade Show in October of this year. It is a great time, and may have some of the info/tools that you are looking for.
Lance Pryor (Lance_p)
Username: Lance_p

Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 8:11 am:   

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome!

I am located in Providence, Rhode Island. I am a middle-aged, former management consultant with a wife and two lovely young girls who keep me quite busy! However, I am looking forward to devoting more time to shoemaking in the not-too-distant future.

Carrlyn, I have some pics of some work I've done, but I haven't really done anything from start to finish. I've been focusing on building up some basic skills -- sharpening, skiving, pattern making, etc. -- plus "making," i.e. lasting, inseaming, hand-sewing the outsoles, and building heels on some factory-made uppers I have that are a reasonably good fit with my lasts. My upper-making/closing efforts have been pretty rudimentary and have not progressed to the point of any finished shoes. When I finally get some made, I'll be sure to post pics.

Lance
Tim Skyrme (Artzend)
Username: Artzend

Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 11:58 pm:   

G'day,

\image

My name is Tim Skyrme and after giving up shoemaking as a career, I am now living at Agnes Water on the last surf beach as you head up the East Coast of Australia.

I was a bespoke shoemaker for around 25 years and taught for about half that time. I started with leather doing carving on bags, belts, etc, in the early 70s and interspersed it with working in the bush in New Zealand trapping possums and working on stations (ranches).

In 1978 I decided that I needed to take leatherwork to the next level and become a saddler. With that in mind I packed up a pregnant wife and small child and set off for London. I was accepted on the shoemaking course at Cordwainers Technical College in Hackney the day before I was accepted as a saddler, so I became a shoemaker for which I am eternally grateful.

I worked at Frederick Freed's Theatrical Shoemakers in Hackney as the pattern cutter on leaving college and needless to say, nothing I had been taught had any bearing on the varied shoes and boots I was asked to do patterns for, including ballet shoes.

I moved to Australia in 1981 setting up shop in Kuranda a village in the rainforest near Cairns in the far north of Queensland.

I moved to Adelaide in South Australia in 1991 or so and set up shop there and worked with George Koleff helping him run some courses and learning to be a teacher.

I worked and taught in my own shop until 2002 or so and then ill health forced me to stop, but I kept writing the book I had started when I first started to teach. It had to explain everything that any shoemaker would need to know once they had finished any training and wanted to set up for themselves. I needed something like it when I started out on my own far from anyone to ask questions of so I knew it should be written. I thought that George should write it as he was a Master Shoemaker from Bulgaria, but he didn't and so I did.

I have finally finished it and now my connection to boot and shoemaking is just to pass on experience if I can.

The book is called "Bespoke Shoemaking, A Comprehensive Guide to Handmade Footwear" and the website is http://www.shoemakingbook.com

Tim
Tim Skyrme (Artzend)

Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 12:09 am:   

Tim Skyrme

Sorry didn't get the image in the last post, here it is.

Tim

Post Number: 670
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 9:19 am:   

Tim,

Welcome to the group!

Mark

Post Number: 641
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 6:34 pm:   

Tim, Good Day Mate! Howdy, and welcome. Their are a few Swedish shoes makers here, Janne, Pet ell, and one fine shoemaker named Lee Miller in Austin Texas, who has been masquerading as boot maker too!

"Fosters for the Brand"
Brian C. Thomas
Tim Skyrme (Artzend)

Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 7:05 pm:   

Thanks for the welcome guys.

I did make boots too but not exclusively, and not always western boots. As a bespoke maker I had to make what the customer wanted, and that was a pretty varied list. There was no way to specialise here the way a lot of you can do in the US.

Mainly I worked the fashion end of the market as that was what was wanted. Doing one-offs meant that I had to be very flexible. I avoided the serious orthopedic work, but had to do a bit at times, mainly trying to make shoes that didn't look boring for people with unusual feet.

Tim
Ben Gonzales (Ben_gonzales)
Username: Ben_gonzales

Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 7:59 am:   

My name is Ben Gonzales I am 23 years old and live in Bryan, Texas with my lovely wife Kelly. I have been building boots for about a year and a half. I have always worked with leather growing up and worked for my brothers saddle shop for almost 4 years "Don Gonzales Saddlery" and just recently started building boots full time. I love what I do everyday, and I find myself discovering new methods that realy improve my craft. I enjoy trying things that are new to me and seeing how well they work. My main passion in my life and always has been is my songwriting which I will always put first. But bootmaking is something I will never quit doing. I love it. I feel that I have been fortunate enough to work with leather and help my brother build saddles before learning the art of boot making. That helped me so much, and although alot alike it is a whole different ball game. I hope to make some new friends in the boot making world and learn things from folks I admire.

Post Number: 672
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   

Ben,

Welcome to the Forum. I hope you become a regular contributer.
Lee Miller (Lee_miller)

Post Number: 191
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 5:02 pm:   

Welcome to the Forum Tim. I know that Larry Waller is selling your book here in the states, and a lot of people have spoken very highly of it. We had the good fortune of having a visit from Richard O'Dwyer from Melbourne. He spent three days with us and from time to time we still speak on the phone. We hope you enjoy this site. There's a lot of talented people here.

Post Number: 643
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 6:30 pm:   

Ben, Howdy, and Welcome, hope to meet you at the Round Up in October.

"Welcome for the Brand"
Brian C. Thomas

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration